The 2013 All-Big Ten football teams and awards were announced Monday, honoring 14 Wisconsin Badgers for their 2013 seasons. Among the highlights are Chris Borland, who won the Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year award, and Jared Abbrederis, who was the Badgers' only consensus first-team offensive player.
Eight Badgers were honored on the offensive side, while six were tabbed on defense. Both of those totals included honorable mentions, of which Wisconsin had eight.
|WR||Jared Abbrederis||First team (consensus)|
|OL||Ryan Groy||First team (coaches), second team (media)|
|RB||Melvin Gordon||Second team (consensus)|
|RB||James White||Second team (consensus)|
|OL||Rob Havenstein||Second team (media), honorable mention (coaches)|
|OL||Tyler Marz||Honorable mention (consensus)|
|TE||Jacob Pedersen||Honorable mention (consensus)|
|QB||Joel Stave||Honorable mention (media)|
|LB||Chris Borland||First team (consensus)|
|NG||Beau Allen||Honorable mention (consensus)|
|DE||Pat Muldoon||Honorable mention (consensus)|
|S||Dezmen Southward||Honorable mention (consensus)|
|S||Michael Caputo||Honorable mention (media)|
|CB||Sojourn Shelton||Honorable mention (media)|
|BIG TEN SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD|
Relevant stats & notes
- Borland finished the regular season tied for fifth in the Big Ten with 9.27 tackles per game. His 102 tackles were also fifth.
- Aside from Borland, the only other unanimous first-team selection by the coaches was Michigan State defensive back Darqueze Dennard.
- With 410 career tackles, Borland ranks sixth in Wisconsin history and second among active FBS players. His 50.0 career tackles per loss are 10th among active FBS players and fourth in Wisconsin history.
- Abbrederis finished the regular season fifth in the Big Ten with 87.6 receiving yards per game. His 73 receptions rank third in the conference and his 1,051 receiving yards are fourth.
- Abbrederis' 23 career touchdown receptions are tied for second all-time at Wisconsin. He also ranks second at UW with 3,110 receiving yards and 197 receptions. Those 3,110 receiving yards (with a game still to go) rank ninth in Big Ten history and eighth among active FBS players.
- As if that wasn't enough, Abbrederis is just Wisconsin's third thousand-yard receiver and the first to record at least 800 yards in three different seasons.
More from Bucky's 5th Quarter
- Wisconsin hockey recruiting: Blue-chip recruit Dante Fabbro scheduled for visit
- Week 5 college basketball rankings: Wisconsin remains top-10 in USA TODAY Coaches Poll, AP Top 25
- The Monday After: Penn State vs. Wisconsin
- Wisconsin vs. Minnesota: 5 things I think I think
- OL Micah Kapoi becomes Wisconsin's 24th commit for 2014