Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- It is nice to see Tyler Wahl get some respect from the national college basketball media.
2022 All-Glue Team:— The Athletic CBB (@TheAthleticCBB) March 7, 2022
◻️ Dalen Terry, @ArizonaMBB
◻️ Justin Minaya, @PCFriarsmbb
◻️ Paul Mulcahy, @RutgersMBB
◻️ Tyler Wahl, @BadgerMBB
◻️ Da’Monte Williams, @IlliniMBB
◻️ Jaylin Williams, @RazorbackMBB@SethDavisHoops has more: https://t.co/I7uOqtnPZ7 pic.twitter.com/b4BcuPaK9Y
- We’ve seen how stints with the national team have helped players like Johnny Davis. What does Devyn Robinson have in store for us next season?
You know who just went and snuck off to California to train with @usavolleyball?@Devyn_Robinson_ was asked with approximately 20 other of the nation's top collegiate players to train with the Women's National Team staff!— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) March 7, 2022
Congrats, Dev! Have fun out there! pic.twitter.com/a1iD94y17a
- Outlets are starting to release their men’s basketball All-American teams and Johnny Davis is featured prominently in many of them. The Sporting News also has Davis on their first team.
FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICA!!— The Field of 68 (@TheFieldOf68) March 7, 2022
We tallied the votes, and here is the definitive list of first-team All-Americans courtesy of The Field of 68's panel of experts.
See all of our postseason awards here: https://t.co/WQoSh7Jvf8 pic.twitter.com/sjSQYo7tV7
- Congrats again to the Best Little Kid in the Big Ten.
@HamitiDean pic.twitter.com/b3FaW1QtRe— Austin Gomez (@agomez_149) March 7, 2022
- Do the Badgers take their foot of the gas in games? Well, the numbers seem to support that hypothesis.
Which teams play worse in garbage time?— Evan Miyakawa (@EvanMiya) March 7, 2022
The graph below shows how much better or worse teams perform when the game outcome is decided, compared to their efficiency when the game is still up for grabs. Teams like Wisconsin and Providence play way worse in garbage time than normal pic.twitter.com/8Qn8TSYlOS
- Ahead of the NCAA Tournament, the Badgers dropped to the No. 5 team in the country. After winning the WCHA Tournament, Ohio State takes over the No. 1 spot.
After becoming WCHA Champions, @OhioStateWHKY takes over the No. 1 spot in the @USCHO poll for the first time this season!— WCHA Hockey (@WCHA_WHockey) March 7, 2022
The Buckeyes are joined by @GopherWHockey, @BadgerWHockey, and @UMDWHockey in the national rankings. pic.twitter.com/WqCu8t2ipK
- We’re hoping to have a post up from Owen about the NFL Combine this week, but before that, just take a look at these ratings for Leo Chenal. Holy cow.
Leo Chenal is a LB prospect in the 2022 draft class. He scored an unofficial 9.99 RAS at the Combine out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 4 out of 2188 LB from 1987 to 2022. https://t.co/unnXwkeRtl #RAS via @Mathbomb pic.twitter.com/P0HfQrwUdc— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) March 6, 2022
- Look at Aleem Ford raining threes!
A record-setting, career night for @AleemFord!— Lakeland Magic (@LakelandMagic) March 5, 2022
✅ Career-High 33 PTS
✅ Career-High 9 3PT
✅ Tied League Record for 3PT in a Half pic.twitter.com/MufpkhXLyw
- We have an interview scheduled with Marisa Moseley on Thursday to discuss her first season in Madison and how she sees next year, and beyond, going for the Badgers. Any questions y’all are interested in hearing answers to?
Not the ending any of us wanted incredibly proud of this team & where we are headed…so glad the Badger faithful got to experience the heart & determination of @katie_nelson4 ! We are just getting started! Thank you for believing in me & what we are building!#OnWisconsin— marisa moseley (@marisamoseley) March 4, 2022
- The softball team is having a good start to the season!
We're feeling 22!— Wisconsin Softball (@BadgerSoftball) March 7, 2022
The #Badgers check in at No. 22 in the initial NCAA Softball RPI for the 2022 season!#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/nYbnbnzvz0
- Michigan State football has had great luck in the transfer portal and just plucked a Pac-12 IOL from Wazzu.
- Caitlin Clark and Monika Czinano dominated as Iowa built off their regular season title by winning the Big Ten Tournament too.
- Indiana still had a great tournament, despite losing to the Hawkeyes in the final.
- Behind a monster performance in a win at Wisconsin, Nebraska’s Alonzo Verge, Jr. was named Big Ten Player of the Week.
- Northwestern’s Ryan Deakin won his third straight Big Ten wrestling title.
- Minnesota’s Gable Steveson also won his third straight Big Ten title.
- Now that the regular season is over, Juwan Howard is back on the sideline for Michigan.
- You may not have realized this, but Rutgers men’s hoops is the No. 4 seed in the Big Ten Tournament. How did they do it?
- Illinois won a share of the Big Ten men’s basketball title on Senior Night.
Men’s basketball results from Sunday
Penn State 58 - Rutgers 59
Michigan 75 - No. 23 Ohio State 69
Maryland 67 - Michigan State 77
No. 24 Iowa 72 - No. 20 Illinois 74
Minnesota 62 - Northwestern 75
Women’s basketball results from Big Ten Tournament
Semifinal 1: No. 14 Indiana 70 - No. 13 Ohio State 62
Semifinal 2: Nebraska 66 - No. 12 Iowa 83
Final: No. 14 Indiana 67 - No. 12 Iowa 74