Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Johnny Davis is good. Iowa is not.
MIDNIGHT TRIVIA— Bart T rvik (@totally_t_bomb) February 16, 2022
Johnny Davis scored 67 points in road games at Purdue and Indiana this year. Since 2008, that's the most any player has scored in those road games in a single season. Second place is Luka Garza in 2020, with 64 (though notably Iowa went 0-2 in those games).
- An incredible honor for Aidan McConnell who was named to the United States roster for the 2022 CONCACAF Women’s Under-20 Championships. Group play starts on Friday, Feb. 25.
Way to go @AidanMcConnell7!— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) February 15, 2022
The freshman defender has been picked for the @USYNT squad for the 2022 @Concacaf U-20 Women's Championship
https://t.co/DaJDIyWZID#Badgers || #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/pjHBHfHUHY
- Now that the Big Ten portion of the regular season is over, here is how the wrestling team is ranked.
InterMat rankings are out and we’re moving— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) February 15, 2022
Next up… Northern Iowa pic.twitter.com/dcXrBJYtg7
- Matthew De St. Phalle had a great weekend in Wisconsin’s series split with Notre Dame.
.@mattydsp28 is— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) February 15, 2022
Four-point weekend. Seven in four games.@B1GHockey ⭐️⭐️⭐️ of the Week pic.twitter.com/SRfS1Zjy0d
- Your Dana Rettke Being Awesome In Italy fix for the day.
Amazing start for Dana Rettke!— Volleyball World (@volleyballworld) February 15, 2022
In her second @LegaVolleyFem match with her club team @VeroVolleyMonza, NCAA champion @dana_rettke was named as the match MVP in their victory vs Scandicci where she scored 14 pts.
Watch the full match replay on https://t.co/N4fErwPx9b. pic.twitter.com/2wiuWNdzoy
- Speaking of volleyball, the champs were in Milwaukee, home of the NBA champs, to celebrate their national title.
TAKING OVER MILWAUKEE TONIGHT! Thanks for having us @Bucks!! pic.twitter.com/hieGnwTIn1— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) February 15, 2022
Yeah... this was a cute moment ☺️ https://t.co/VRDGWzs56L pic.twitter.com/c9TtAMlkFy— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) February 15, 2022
- The women’s hockey gold medal game between Canada and the United States is Wednesday night. There will be a LOT of Badgers playing with both starting goalies potentially being Wisconsin alumnae.
Four goals from four former @BadgerWHockey players (Blayre Turnbull, Emily Clark, Hilary Knight and Abby Roque) and victories in net by Ann-Renée Desbiens and Alex Cavallini have Canada and the U.S. in the Olympic gold-medal game again.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) February 14, 2022
If @adesbiens30 and @aRigs33 go head-to-head for the Olympic gold medal -- Team Canada vs. Team USA -- here's a gentle reminder that they once fought for the same cause in 2013-14 and wound up as the two winningest goaltenders in @BadgerWHockey history. What an incredible legacy. pic.twitter.com/AjlWpJBFgG— BadgersHistory (@BadgersHistory) February 15, 2022
The gold medal game is on at 10:10 p.m. CT tonight (Wednesday). We’ll try and have some live coverage of the game but, folks, that is pretty late for this sleepy blogger.
There has never been an Olympic hockey gold medal game, women's or men's, with former college teammates in opposing creases. That could change thanks to Alex Cavallini and Ann-Renée Desbiens from @BadgerWHockey.https://t.co/Zt4GbBU7vI— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) February 16, 2022
- Daryl Watts is 11 points away from setting the NCAA record for points scored in a career.
Another week.— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) February 14, 2022
Another award for @DarylWatts19!#Badgers || #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/0Ul5h1xsYC
- My wife while watching this video: “I love when old guys get excited about basketball!”
Good morning, Badger fans!— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) February 16, 2022
How's everyone feeling?!#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/uOLatM1pZC
- An early-season chance to watch the softball team on TV comes on Sunday!
TV UPDATE Sunday's @BadgerSoftball vs @UCLASoftball game will now be televised on @ESPNU at noon AND the @UCLASoftball vs @FSU_Softball game at 7 pm has been upgraded to @espn ☀️— St. Pete Clearwater Elite Invitational (@SPCEliteInvite) February 15, 2022
- MSU men’s hoops falls apart on the road and loses to Penn State. Here’s the Nittany Lions recap of the first win of the Micah Shrewsberry era against a ranked opponent.
- Can Iowa men’s basketball sneak into the top four of the Big Ten?
- An early look at the strengths and weaknesses of Nebraska football.
- Non-conference hoops tournaments are being finalized for next season and Purdue is in a good one.
- Is Ohio State’s E.J. Liddell the Big Ten Player of the Year?
- A profile of Michigan’s new defensive coordinator Jesse Minter.
- Kofi “Just Big” Cockburn keeps saving the Illini’s bacon.
- A recap of the Wisconsin/Indiana game from Crimson Quarry. I take issue with describing Brad Davison’s flagrant foul as a “shove” but otherwise a good report.
Men’s basketball results from Monday/Tuesday
No. 19 Michigan State 58 - Penn State 62
Minnesota 45 - No. 18 Ohio State 70
Women’s basketball results from Monday/Tuesday
No. 7 Indiana 55 - Nebraska 72
No. 15 Maryland 81 - No. 25 Iowa 69
No. 21 Ohio State 86 - Illinois 67