Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Brothers gotta hug!
- Julia Wohlert is transferring from UW to FGCU for her final volleyball season. We wish her well!
- This is a cool tattoo.
- The 2022 KwikTrip Holiday Face-off field was announced earlier this week and will feature Wisconsin (duh), current defending national champ UMass, Clarkson and Lake Superior State.
It's official! The field for the 2022 @KwikTrip Holiday Face-Off consists of @BadgerMHockey @UMassHockey @ClarksonMHockey & @HockeyLSSU. See you at @FiservForum from December 28-29.https://t.co/LTLFPiNgpn— Kwik Trip Holiday Face-Off (@HolidayFaceoff) February 9, 2022
- Since Torvik posted this, Purdue has already lost a game. EVERYTHING IS COMING UP WISCONSIN, BABY!
Of the three teams tied for first in the Big Ten, Wisconsin definitely has the easiest remaining schedule. pic.twitter.com/gHGkqi2K2I— Bart T rvik (@totally_t_bomb) February 9, 2022
- Sam Dekker still looking smooth over in Turkey.
A quick update on @dekker - he's averaging 15.1 PPG while shooting 51% from the floor (41% from 3pt) in the Turkish Super League. His mechanics on his shot look great, his cuts look sharp, and is running the floor exceptionally well. Highlights from his last 5 games ⬇️⬇️ pic.twitter.com/yIzAMe6mO3— Gunnar Person (@GPer23) February 8, 2022
- It’ll be pretty interesting to see what all of these new areas at Camp Randall look like once they are finished.
We've got names and everything!— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) February 10, 2022
Excited to have fans in these spaces in just 7 months!
▪️ Fifth Quarter Patio
▪️ 1917 Club
▪️ Champions Club
▪️ Touchdown Club
▪️ Victory Hall
Learn more ➡️ https://t.co/J79AVUbAq5 pic.twitter.com/LJyx9E0qQf
- The Badgers lost to Maryland by 27 earlier this week, which isn’t surprising because the Terps are much better than the Badgers, but there were still a couple of highlights for UW.
- Cool story on Wisconsin freshman wrestler Braxton Amos.
- The Badgers last home Big Ten match of the season is Friday night against Illinois. With tickets being only $2 it’s almost too cheap not to go!
Get ✌️ the Field House on Friday!— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) February 10, 2022
Last home @B1GWrestling match of the season vs. @IlliniWrestling 7 p.m.
Watch on BTN+ https://t.co/3zGiBy7ARB
️ Special Guest @MattLepay #HypeMan!
️ $2 Tickets https://t.co/d5y7zfqpsU
❤️ Arrive early & help us honor imp. friend of team! pic.twitter.com/6dVj05EJBw
- Ben Street came out firing for Team Canada in their first game of the Olympics.
- Hilary Knight helped lead Team USA to the semifinals, with a 4-1 win over the Czech Republic, late on Thursday night/early Friday morning. Alex (Rigsby) Cavallini got the win in net for the Americans.
@usahockey ANSWERS BACK! @HilaryKnight with a diving shot evens it up against @narodnitymzen and she officially ties @CammiGranato for 3rd most US Olympic Goals score #USACZE #Beijing2022 pic.twitter.com/aSJOdshKRW— IIHF (@IIHFHockey) February 11, 2022
- Sadly, Britta Curl won’t be able to join the team for their medal push as she tested positive for COVID.
Can’t even begin to say how thankful I am to have such supportive and loving family and friends. Was super excited at the opportunity to join Team USA but a positive COVID test means I will not be able to help out a great group. Thanks to everyone who reached out - I’ll be back!— Britta Curl (@brittacurl) February 10, 2022
- Speaking of hockey, the women’s team had their series moved around this weekend due to the men’s team’s series being moved because of a COVID situation. The men’s team now plays DURING the Super Bowl on Sunday night. It is the last home game of the season and it’s a major bummer that seniors like Brock Caufield and Roman Achan won’t get a proper send-off. Milewski goes on to note that he can’t find ANY other sporting events (NBA, NHL, college basketball, college hockey) being played during the Super Bowl so, uh, yeah.
- The team that has to switch the Kohl Center from hockey to basketball is going to be BUSY this weekend.
If you know someone on the Kohl Center changeover crew, wish them well this weekend. There are now 7 conversions in 5 days instead of 1.https://t.co/s1OhT24DxZ— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) February 9, 2022
- Jordan Bohannon made 10 (!!!) three pointers in Iowa’s win over Maryland on Thursday night.
- All five Indiana men’s basketball players that were suspended for the game against Northwestern will be available for IU’s next game.
- The Penn State/Purdue football season opener is now on Thursday of college football’s opening weekend.
- The Nebraska/Rutgers football game that was originally scheduled for Saturday Oct. 8 is now on Friday Oct. 7. Please adjust your calendars accordingly.
- Senior Ryan Greer has been “indispensable” for the ‘Cats this season.
- Geo Baker is becoming a Rutgers basketball legend.
- Illinois just can’t beat Purdue in men’s hoops.
- LOL, Minnesota gave Nebraska their first Big Ten win in men’s hoops.
- “We got punked from the very beginning. We got what we deserved,” Tom Izzo said after losing to Wisconsin.
- What will the new Michigan defensive coordinator, Jesse Minter, bring on the recruiting trail?
Men’s basketball results from Wednesday/Thursday
No. 16 Ohio State 64 - Rutgers 66
Minnesota 65 - Nebraska 78
Iowa 110 - Maryland 87
No. 3 Purdue 58 - Michigan 82
Women’s basketball results from Wednesday/Thursday
Penn State 77 - Purdue 81
No. 7 Indiana 93 - Illinois 61
Minnesota 78 - No. 25 Iowa 88
No. 4 Michigan 57 - Michigan State 63
Nebraska 70 - No. 21 Ohio State 80
Northwestern - Rutgers, cancelled