Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Can’t wait to see where Johnny Davis goes in the NBA Draft. For those who aren’t weirdos that care about the NBA Draft, Mike Schmitz is a pretty big deal talent evaluator so it’s cool that he’s talking to Davis.
Got to sit down with one of the NCAA’s biggest stars less than 24 hours after knocking off Purdue while exploding for 37 PTS & 14 REBS. Had a blast breaking down tape with Wisconsin’s Johnny Davis. One of the most complete players in the draft. Two-way guard who impacts winning. pic.twitter.com/qGr0GJZkqo— Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) January 5, 2022
- Freshman wrestler Dean Hamiti is really performing well this season and he was rewarded for his tournament win at the Illinois Matmen Open this past week.
Our very own Dean Hamiti earns co-wrestler of the week by @FancoWrestling— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) January 5, 2022
Hamiti recorded one pin, two tech falls and one major decision that led to his tournament win at 165 pounds pic.twitter.com/9TSJz64qtH
- Wisconsin defenseman Corson Ceulemans was named Big Ten Second Star of the Week after scoring three points and helping the Badgers win the Holiday Face-Off in Milwaukee.
He's been getting better and better— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) January 4, 2022
Kwik Trip @HolidayFaceoff Best Defenseman @Corson_4 is B1G Second Star of the Week
Took over the team scoring lead after three-point tourney pic.twitter.com/uaIWdE67YS
- Also, the men’s hockey series against Ohio State this weekend has been postponed due to COVID issues within the Badgers program.
- Speaking of excellent Wisconsin defenders, Nicole LaMantia was named WCHA Defender of the Month for December. She had five assists and 15 blocked shots last month.
- I am hopefully going to have time later today (Wednesday) to write about Johnny Davis and Keegan Murray ahead of Thursday’s Big Ten clash, but it is crazy that the Wisconsin/Iowa game is going to feature the NATION’S two leading scorers.
Iowa’s Keegan Murray (24.5 ppg) and Wisconsin’s Johnny Davis (22.3 ppg) rank No. 1 and No. 2 in the NCAA in scoring.— Patrick Herb (@PatrickHerb) January 4, 2022
Thursday could be the first 1-2 scoring match-up in Kohl Center history.
Let’s pack the place!
- Dana Rettke signed a pro contract with Vero Volley Monza in Italy. Can’t wait to follow her pro career too.
Finally stopped crying, and then Dana goes and signs a pro contract. PROUD TEARS POURING!— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) January 4, 2022
Congratulations, @dana_rettke! We can't wait to follow your pro career in Italia
Turning in your red, for the rosablù pic.twitter.com/fh9KP5qygD
- The women’s hoops team has a huge upset opportunity on Wednesday night as No. 6 Indiana comes to town. The Hoosiers just beat Maryland, the preseason Big Ten favorite, and are clicking on all cylinders. This could get ugly.
- While the Spartans lost one WR to the NFL Draft on Tuesday, they got another one back when Jayden Reed announced his intentions to return to East Lansing.
- A former 4-star OL is transferring from Notre Dame to Minnesota.
- DL P.J. Mustipher is coming back for one more season in Happy Valley.
- Nebraska women’s hoops destroyed top-10 Michigan on Tuesday night.
- Rutgers men’s hoops had never beaten Michigan...until Tuesday night. Here are the takeaways from Michigan’s sideline and from Rutgers’.
- Ohio State adds a 2022 4-star OL from Wisconsin. ::grumble grumble::
- Is Illinois men’s basketball a Big Ten title threat?
Men’s basketball results from Tuesday night
Illinois 76 - Minnesota 53
Michigan 67 - Rutgers 75
Women’s basketball results from Tuesday night
No. 8 Michigan 58 - Nebraska 79