Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- We don’t know anything about Caleb Williams. We have read all of the message board posts about him not coming to Wisconsin/coming to Wisconsin. At this point the best course is for us to continue making jokes until he picks a school, hopefully Wisconsin, and not get caught up in every single update from people with “sources” that may or may not be reliable.
- The national champs continue making the rounds to get their flowers from everyone. You love to see it.
- It’s great to see Dylan Holloway back on the ice and doing what he does best: putting the biscuit in the basket.
- A stat like this would concern me if I were a fan of any other team. Wisconsin has been giving up double-digit scoring runs in games for so long I’m shocked when it doesn’t happen in a game.
Only four teams in the top 50 at EvanMiya have allowed 10+ double digit scoring runs this season:— Evan Miyakawa (@EvanMiya) January 30, 2022
Just keep that in mind going forward with these teams.
- A HUGE transfer move in the Big Ten. Kaitlyn Hord is moving from Penn State to Nebraska. She is one of the best players in the country and it’s a bummer we (as a conference) couldn’t have gotten her out of here!
Biiiiiig inter conference move here— Emily Ehman (@emilyehman) January 30, 2022
4x All-American middle Kaitlyn Hord is headed from Penn State to Nebraska! https://t.co/fWquM37VGK
- With NFL Draft SZN officially upon us, it’s time to start looking at the measurements of players so you can shout about whether or not your NFL team made a good/bad choice by drafting someone.
- Brutal news for former Badger Trevor Anderson. We hope he is able to recover from his injury enough that it doesn’t bother him for the rest of his life.
- We’ll have a recap of the game up later, but the Badgers fell just short of beating the Gophers on Sunday afternoon.
- Wonder how embarrassed the alumni were to be brought in for this weekend where the Badgers got absolutely dominated up and down the ice by Michigan.
Big-time anniversaries for four Frozen Four teams this year, so we brought a rep from each of them out on the ice this weekend— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) January 31, 2022
#1973 #1977 #1982 #1992#OnWisconsin || #Badgers pic.twitter.com/WTvdHDy5m1
- Michigan State has gotten another transfer portal RB. Jalen Berger has to be steaming mad right now!
- The 1 vs. 2 wrestling matchup lived up to the hype on Friday. Here is a recap from the Iowa side of things.
- Corn Nation watched every snap of new QB Casey Thompson’s season at Texas. Here’s what they discovered.
- Pete Nance and Kofi Cockburn had quite a battle this weekend.
- We will not be writing too many recaps of the men’s hockey disaster season, but here is a recap from the Michigan side of things.
- Indiana’s Rob Phinisee could miss a couple of games.
- Minnesota recap of their loss to Wisconsin in men’s hoops and win over Wisconsin in women’s hoops.
Men’s basketball results from over the weekend
Women’s basketball results from over the weekend
No. 23 Iowa 72 - Northwestern 67, OT
Michigan State 61 - Rutgers 45
No. 17 Maryland 82 - Penn State 71
Purdue 66 - Nebraska 81
Illinois - Northwestern, postponed