Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Unlike many of these charts, you want your team to be in the bottom left and not the top right so...yeah, go Badgers!
Resume vs. Quality: How is your team projected in current bracketology compared to other teams with similar metrics? pic.twitter.com/82ABpFrnVx— Evan Miyakawa (@EvanMiya) January 25, 2022
- Speaking of charts! Let’s just get all of the math out of the way early on this beautiful Friday morning. Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama and...Wisconsin! The four best teams in the country, we’ve always said this.
Offensive and Defensive Disruption— Robert Binion (@robert_binion) January 26, 2022
Putting it all together:
- Clemson has been in a league of their own up front
- Wisconsin, on brand
- GT is worst in the P5 in the trenches. Woof pic.twitter.com/KwvIlreOu1
- We talked earlier in the week about Olin Hacker’s impressive time from this past weekend and, well, apparently we weren’t the only ones that noticed.
Weekly Awards Alert— Big Ten Conference (@bigten) January 26, 2022
Olin Hacker of @BadgerTrackXC is the #B1G Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Week!
Named the Athlete of the Meet at the Larry Wieczorek Invitational after winning the premier mile in a time of 3:56.66
- Teams who are thinking about passing on Leo Chenal or Jack Sanborn do so at their own risk tbqh.
Only 4 schools in the country produced a pair of players with at least 110 tackles this season— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) January 27, 2022
Alabama, Georgia, LSU,
@TJEdwards8 // @JoeTheScho pic.twitter.com/oh1um87XBh
- Not that we needed a reminder, but Frank Kaminsky had one of the best seasons of all time when he was a senior at UW.
Top player in BPR by year at https://t.co/cegyfz8ykZ— Evan Miyakawa (@EvanMiya) January 27, 2022
2022 - Drew Timme
2021 - Jalen Suggs
2020 - Xavier Tillman
2019 - Zion Williamson
2018 - Jalen Brunson
2017 - Lonzo Ball
2016 - Denzel Valentine
2015 - Frank Kaminsky
2014 - Jordan Adams
2013 - Cody Zeller
2012 - Anthony Davis
- Cool feature on the wrestling team from WKOW in Madison.
"We want our guys to get better every time they step on the mat." - Chris Bono (@ChrisBono) who's seeing a major buy-in from the @BadgerWrestling grapplers...— Pablo Iglesias (@PabloIglesiasTV) January 27, 2022
✅ 8-1 overall
✅ 7 ranked individuals
✅ 10th overall ranking in latest @nwcawrestling poll pic.twitter.com/jcCrN4xhTU
- Brad Davison is going to find himself near the top of many categories when his career in Madison is finished. Congrats to the new three point king at Wisconsin.
Congratulations to our guy, @braddavi34...— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) January 27, 2022
Wisconsin's new all-time leader in 3-pointers! pic.twitter.com/2Uk3JZQi9o
- Winter conditioning is where teams start their championship run. Hopefully the Badgers have a good few weeks in the gym.
Winter conditioning started this week, and here’s what @BadgerFootball will stare at every day between now and week one. pic.twitter.com/N763j4D9sv— Chris Hall (@ChrisHallUW) January 27, 2022
- UW grad, and former volleyball student manager, Connor Zimmick is now an assistant coach at App. State.
We welcome Connor Zimmick to the program as an assistant coach.— App State Volleyball (@AppStateVB) January 27, 2022
➡️ https://t.co/Y7VVObV9VX pic.twitter.com/K9qpfw0Pct
- Nebraska is a tough out this year and the Badgers couldn’t keep up on Thursday night.
Sydney Hilliard scores 16 and Julie Pospisilova hits 12 but #Badgers fall at Nebraska. pic.twitter.com/HMKWOduIn4— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) January 28, 2022
- Long weekend of hockey for the women’s squad who will play three games in four days on their road trip to Minnesota.
"It's kind of funny, it's like an NHL schedule."— Zach Hanley (@ZachHanley2) January 28, 2022
A 5 day road trip with 3 games in 4 days? Let's drop the puck!@BadgerWHockey faces St. Cloud State on Friday & Saturday, then St. Thomas on Monday. #Badgers pic.twitter.com/MKLHdQHJSv
- Students are finally back in town as the men’s hockey team tries to upset No. 4 Michigan at the Kohl Center.
Hey @CreaseCreatures— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) January 26, 2022
Soooo happy to have you back!!! pic.twitter.com/SOjS2rnmkK
- Huge WCHA title implications this weekend as Ohio State and Minnesota face off.
- Pitt transfer Xavier Johnson is fitting in nicely with Indiana this season.
- Michigan State and Michigan are finally getting the chance to settle their fans’ online sniping on the court.
- A HUGE Friday night of B1G wrestling, headlined by No. 1 vs. No. 2. Here is a preview of Iowa/Penn State.
- Nebraska and Wisconsin split their basketball doubleheader with the Huskers winning on the women’s side and the Badgers taking the men’s game.
- Michigan has their sights set on a Big Ten hockey title, but a road trip to the Kohl Center could prove trickier than they’d hoped.
- Big Ten wrestling power rankings.
Men’s basketball results from Wednesday/Thursday
Northwestern 70 - Michigan 72
Penn State 57 - Indiana 74
No. 16 Ohio State 75 - Minnesota 64
No. 6 Purdue 83 - Iowa 73
Women’s basketball results from Wednesday/Thursday
Rutgers 55 - No. 17 Maryland 72
No. 7 Michigan 77 - No. 22 Ohio State 58
Michigan State 79 - Penn State 58
Minnesota 66 - Purdue 80
Illinois - No. 6 Indiana, postponed