Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- The video has been viewed nearly 10 million (!!!) times as of Wednesday morning. What can we say, people love House of Pain even in 2021.
- Want to learn more about Polish freshman sensation Julia Orzol? Well, who better to hear it from than Orzol herself.
- Women’s soccer keeper Jordyn Bloomer was named co-Big Ten Goalie of the Week. She made a combined six saves in two shutouts last week, including four against Baylor, highlighted by a diving fingertip save late in the first overtime
- It is almost a great day for hockey!
- The Big Ten Cross Country Champions were also honored at the football game on Saturday. Damn, the Badgers did pretty well in the ol’ championships department last year.
Congratulations to the 2020 Big Ten cross country champions! They were honored at today’s football game for championship No. 5️⃣1️⃣ pic.twitter.com/TNSw73N6zT— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) September 4, 2021
- In case you missed it, ESPN’s College Game Day will be in Ames, Iowa for El Assico, aka Iowa vs. Iowa State. As someone who has tailgated for Cyclones game in the past I’m sure that it will be a real fun atmosphere and game.
- Prohibitive Big Ten favorite Ohio State probably doesn’t pay the Big Ten West too much mind, but Land-Grant Holy Land notes that things in the West look a lot different after Week 1: “This matters for Ohio State for obvious reasons; if Ohio State can get through their schedule and participate in the Big Ten Championship, Wisconsin seemed to be the overwhelming favorite to meet them in Indianapolis. Now, with this early result, the west seems to be a lot more open than anticipated.”
- Northwestern’s men’s soccer team earned their first win for new coach Russell Payne.
- Despite coming away with a win against the Badgers on Saturday, Penn State fans are not in agreement on their quarterback situation.
- Nebraska volleyball has a huge in-state matchup with Creighton on Wednesday night on FS1. The Blue Jays recently beat defending national champs Kentucky and both teams come into the match at 6-0.
- The Greg Schiano Era (Part Deux) is entering a crucial phase according to On The Banks. Also, we missed this on Friday but 4-star 2022 QB Gavin Wimsatt is forgoing his senior year of high school and enrolling early at Rutgers.
- Crimson Quarry, the Indiana SB Nation blog, is looking for a new site manager.
- I hate to say this, but The Daily Gopher brings up a good point: a loss in the first game of the season doesn’t have to define the rest of the year.
- Meet Michigan State’s new athletic director, Alan Haller.