The first update of the two major polls in college football came out on Tuesday afternoon and, to no one’s surprise, the Wisconsin Badgers fell in both rankings. UW now sits at No. 17 (down two spots) in the Coaches Poll and at No. 18 (down six spots) in the AP Poll. At least that’s what I think the AP Poll says, they are having some formatting issues over there which makes the poll more like college football to be frank.
hey @AP y'all okay over there pic.twitter.com/OlVLYfRKkS— David Peterson (@depeterson61) September 7, 2021
Since this is the first update after the preseason poll there was a fair amount of movement as some teams were immediately seen as over or underrated. First let’s take a look at where all of our Big Ten brethren rank.
- Ohio State —> No. 3 Coaches Poll, No. 3 AP Poll
- Iowa —> No. 12 Coaches Poll, No. 10 AP Poll
- Penn State —> No. 13 Coaches Poll, No. 11 AP Poll
- Wisconsin —> No. 17 Coaches Poll, No. 18 AP Poll
- Will the SEC get three teams into the CFP??? Right now, Alabama and Georgia sit as the top two teams in both polls and then Texas A&M is sitting at No. 5. It’s not going to happen, but it’s fun to get your blood pressure up early in the season, isn’t it?
- UCLA was by far the biggest mover in both polls, going from unranked in the 50s to No. 16 in the Coaches Poll. The Bruins deserve it, by the way, as they look LSU to the woodshed over the weekend. Ol’ Chip Kelly might finally be getting it together out in Los Angeles!
Geaux Bruins. pic.twitter.com/xDZNpNN0Dc— UCLA Football Recruiting (@UCLAFBRecruit) September 5, 2021
- Indiana, and the aforementioned Bayou Bengals, were the two biggest losers of the weekend. They both had spots in the teens in the first poll and are now both on the outside looking in. Playing in the Big Ten and SEC respectively will give both teams ample chances to move back into the rankings, but after one week...they both look like booty.
- Did Cincinnati start high enough in the rankings to be a legit G5 Playoff threat? They’re already in the top-8 of both polls sooooooooo, here’s hoping!
AP Top-25: due to the formatting issues, it’s tough to tell, but UCLA and Ole Miss are definitely new in there
Coaches Poll: No. 16 UCLA; No. 18 Utah; No. 21 Virginia Tech; No. 25 Arizona State
AP Top-25: No. 16 LSU; No. 17 Indiana; No. 23 UL Lafayette (they don’t show No. 20 Washington as dropping out, but trust me...the Huskies got waxed by Montana, they aren’t ranked anymore)
Coaches Poll: No. 13 Louisiana State; No. 17 Indiana; No. 21 Washington; No. 23 UL Lafayette