Just a mere 22 days after kicking off the season as the No. 12 team in the country, the Wisconsin Badgers find themselves unranked in both the AP and Coaches Polls this week. Following a brutal 41-13 loss to No. 12 Notre Dame in the Shamrock Series at Solider Field, it is truly a shock that the Badgers received any votes at all in either poll. The offense is stagnant, special teams continues to struggle, and the defense deserves better than to be 1-2 and unranked before the calendar turns to October.
This Wisconsin defense deserves so much better than this Wisconsin offense.— Drew Hamm (@drewhamm5) September 25, 2021
- Penn State —> No. 6 Coaches Poll, No. 4 AP Poll
- Iowa —> No. 8 Coaches Poll, No. 5 AP Poll
- Ohio State —> No. 12 Coaches Poll, No. 11 AP Poll
- Michigan —> No. 15 Coaches Poll, No. 14 AP Poll
- Michigan State —> No. 19 Coaches Poll, No. 17 AP Poll
- Wisconsin —> Unranked Coaches Poll, Unranked AP Poll
- Following a 2OT loss to unranked North Carolina State, Clemson dropped 16 spots in the AP Poll, falling to No. 25, breaking a streak of 97 consecutive weeks that the Tigers were ranked in the top 10, the third longest streak of all time. Their streak of 107 consecutive weeks ranked within the AP Top 25 still stands. After just four games, Clemson is 2-2 and their playoff hopes are non-existent.
- Despite a win, Oklahoma dropped two spots to No. 6, swapping positions with Penn State who jumped to No. 4. The Sooners enter this week undefeated (4-0), but have struggled to pull away from unranked opponents. They sneaked by this week on a last second game-winning field goal on the road versus West Virginia. This is a very different Sooners team than we've seen in years past, lacking the explosive offense that we’ve gotten used to seeing from them. It’s on Spencer Rattler to get them going moving forward.
SWC Champs confirmed. #WPS pic.twitter.com/2571jyhJ5V— Arkansas Razorback Football (@RazorbackFB) September 27, 2021
- Arkansas is legitimate. The Razorbacks began the year unranked, but find themselves at No. 8 in this week’s AP Poll following another statement win over No. 15 Texas A&M. Their toughest task is to come, as they hit the road to take on No. 2 Georgia and No. 12 Ole Miss the next two weeks.
- The Heisman Trophy is up for grabs. Preseason favorites QB Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma), QB Sam Howell (North Carolina) and QB DJ Uiagalelei (Clemson) have disappointed and failed to put up Heisman caliber numbers. The current favorites are QB Bryce Young (Alabama) and QB Matt Corral (Ole Miss) who have both dominated their opponents so far. The two face each other this weekend in what is bound to be a matchup that will have major implications on this award race.
AP Top-25: No. 19 Oklahoma State, No. 21 Baylor, No. 23 North Carolina State, No. 24 Wake Forest
Coaches Poll: No. 23 Kentucky, No. 24 Baylor, No. 25 Wake Forest
AP Top-25: No. 14 Iowa State, No. 18 Wisconsin, No. 21 North Carolina, No. 25 Kansas State
Coaches Poll: No. 14 Iowa State, No. 15 Wisconsin, No. 20 North Carolina