Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Our friends at Homefield Apparel just completed their second season of Big New Saturday. You may remember that they released a Wisconsin line earlier in the summer that was full of comfy t-shirts and sweatshirts. If you haven’t yet, you should head to their site and browse around as they’ve got a bunch of other awesome shirts from schools you may not even have heard of!
We want to send a MASSIVE thank you to you all for making this season of Big New Saturday even bigger beyond our wildest dreams.— Homefield (@HomefieldApparl) September 26, 2021
If you showed me 18 months ago where we are now, I’d never believe you. We’re so so humbled.
Oh and yes, there will be a Big New Saturday, Season 3.
- Can’t believe we’ve got to do this again next week.
Me waking up next Saturday to a Wisconsin Big Noon Kickoff game pic.twitter.com/twgySVg6Ux— Asher Low (@alow_33) September 26, 2021
- This is awesome to see so many former Badgers in the NHL. I wish this graphic had any semblance of order outside of...players that played at Wisconsin. Give me alphabetical by something! Further proof that going to Wisconsin means you are smarter than most, there are no Badgers on the Philadelphia Flyers this year.
- This year’s Badgers team is picked to finish third in the Big Ten, behind Minnesota and Michigan. The Gophers and Wolverines have ownership of most of the preseason all-conference teams, but Badgers goalie Cam Rowe is picked as the second team netminder and forward Roman Achan earned honorable mention.
- OH SHIT, VITTO BROWN!
One runs the Big Ten, the other is commissioner Kevin Warren https://t.co/K9His3Ln2h— Trevor Woods (@WoodsFootball) September 25, 2021
- The Badgers just keep trucking right along, now unbeaten in eight straight games after a 0-0 draw in Ann Arbor, Mich.
- If you missed it at the end of last week, the men’s soccer team upset a ranked Rutgers squad 2-0. The Badgers had a real tough start to their campaign but have seemingly found the stride as Big Ten play heats up and looks like they won’t be an easy out for any of the top teams in the conference.
That was fun! Badgers take down No. 12/21 Rutgers! pic.twitter.com/jnfcZttBMp— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerMSoccer) September 25, 2021
- Edgerton native, and Madison resident, Steve Stricker captained the USA to a dominant victory over Europe in the Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits outside of Sheboygan. Dustin Johnson went 5-0 on the weekend to lead the Americans to victory. EAT IT, EUROPE!
- Does Iowa’s offense need to start hucking the ball deep more?
- Sean Clifford must’ve hear about me slandering him all offseason and now he is going to play good to spite me.
- It’s annoying to me that Nebraska is improving. At least their actual record hasn’t caught up yet.
Nebraska's postgame win expectancies so far:— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) September 26, 2021
* vs. Illinois: 74% (L by 8)
* vs. Fordham: 99% (W by 39)
* vs. Buffalo: 99% (W by 25)
* vs. Oklahoma: 13% (L by 7)
* vs. Mich St: 70% (L by 3)
Second-order Ws: 3.6
Actual Ws: 2
- The entire Purdue athletic department had a great weekend.
- Northwestern beat Ohio, but many questions remain.
- Michigan enters their game against Wisconsin next weekend as ::double checks notes:: underdogs?!?!
- Maybe this is why: Rutgers almost beat Michigan on Saturday.
- Michigan State has lost three players to the transfer portal in the past week. TROUBLE BREWING IN EAST LANSING?!?!?! (probably not, kids just transfer sometimes)
- Illinois fans have rapidly reached the apathy stage of the Bret Bielema Experience.
- The Gophers lost to Bowling Green on Saturday to give Wisconsin fans a reminder that it could always be worse, like, much worse.