Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- The kids, they are excited that basketball is coming back soon. It could be a long season in terms of actual wins, but it should be fun in terms of watching players develop and shouting at referees.
It took just over 10 minutes…— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) September 23, 2021
As of 7:42am/ct, men’s basketball student season tickets are SOLD OUT!@AreaRED is READY‼️ pic.twitter.com/8bzURkN4NJ
- The weekend of the Army football game, the Army men’s hockey team will also be in Madison. There has, however, been a slight change of plans as the series is moved up a day.
Schedule Alert— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) September 23, 2021
We've got @ArmyWP_Hockey on Thursday and Friday, Oct. 14-15 at the Kohl Center
First time since Jan. 3, 1967 pic.twitter.com/XbyM0EcOG3
- The second most famous athlete to come from Stevens Point, after my dad, is doing pretty well for himself in the NHL. Hopefully they have more Caufield jerseys in stock for this season and I can imagine this will be a particularly hot item for the Crease Creatures.
Cole Caufield's sweater out there with some big names in the NHL store, per this image sent out today.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) September 23, 2021
A Canadiens employee told me after the 2021 playoffs that Caufield merch was No. 2 in sales on the team behind Carey Price. pic.twitter.com/bq7V6nEAai
- Paul Chryst had his end of week press conference on Thursday and it sounds like the defense will be at full strength for Saturday. That’s good to hear because this game should be a defensive battle and Wisconsin can now deploy their full complement of weapons.
Watching Paul Chryst presser, sounds like Faion Hicks and Collin Wilder will play Saturday. "Everyone was able to practice and do something this week." #Badgers— Dave Heller (@dave_heller) September 23, 2021
- Love to see Quintez Cephus thriving in the NFL.
I had a dope experience after the game Monday night. It’s a blessing to see how God uses the hardest times in life to shine His light the most. Blessings to Ms Diana and congrats on your retirement. pic.twitter.com/dmZpniFZSE— Quintez Cephus (@QoDeep_87) September 22, 2021
- The women’s soccer team might never lose again! J.J. will obviously go more in-depth on this, but Big Ten favorite Penn State also lost to Northwestern on Thursday night so the conference title race is well and truly on.
Final in East Lansing!#Badgers 1— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) September 24, 2021
UW extends its unbeaten run to seven games after a road win! pic.twitter.com/r0Cmdvpg8x
- Barry Alvarez, remember that guy?
Who from @BadgerFootball nation will we see this weekend in Chicago?— Wisconsin On BTN (@WisconsinOnBTN) September 23, 2021
A little bit of history on the Shamrock Series this weekend from Barry Alvarez on #B1GToday with @BTNDaveRevsine & @gerrydinardo. #B1GToday pic.twitter.com/Z6BQI2FumI
- The women’s hoops team SHOULD be better this year and is definitely building towards something better eventually so get your season tickets now and get in on the ground floor.
It’s a great day to be a Badger! Very fun @AreaRED Block Party last night to kick off the season. Get your tickets now! First Game- Nov. 10th! @BadgerWBB @UWBadgers @UWMadison pic.twitter.com/7SgVJeMo4t— Caroline Doty (@cdoty5) September 23, 2021
- The nice thing about losing to a good team early in the season is that they’ll probably cheer for you the rest of the season so their win looks better. Anyway, here’s is Black Shoe Diaries Big Ten weekend preview!
- We mentioned that Northwestern women’s soccer upset Penn State on Thursday night, but here is how they were doing leading up to that match.
- Michigan’s offensive line makeover has been a huge part of their early season success.
- A very important preview of Notre Dame/Wisconsin from One Foot Down.
- The Badgers volleyball team plays Rutgers this weekend. Here is how their season has gone so far.
- Maryland football’s quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa is showing improved decision making this year.
- Illinois should let the kids play!