Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- The Badgers are happy to have Polish freshman Julia Orzol back in the lineup. The outside hitter had a monster weekend averaging 3.67 kills, 2.67 digs, 0.67 blocks and 0.67 aces last week while Wisconsin went 2-0. The performance earned Orzol her first Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor.
When this eagle flies...you don't want to be across the net. Hooray for Julia Orzoł's first Big Ten Accolade! pic.twitter.com/GQIgkhxU5T— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) September 21, 2021
- Speaking of the No. 2 volleyball team in the country, you should go vote for Dana Rettke and Sydney Hilley here!
- In case you had forgotten, the Badgers and Irish will both be wearing alternate uniforms for the Shamrock Series game on Saturday. Wisconsin will be wearing a Forward alternate jersey that have a lot of really cool touches that honor the great state of Wisconsin.
— Wisconsin Badgers (@UWBadgers) September 21, 2021
A Celebration of our State
When @BadgerFootball faces Notre Dame this Saturday, the Badgers will wear special uniforms honoring the great state of Wisconsin
- The men’s soccer team has found their stride it appears. After beating Milwaukee on Tuesday night, the Badgers are 3-0-1 in their last four matches. Inaki Irabarren scored a brace to lead UW over their in-state rivals.
- The USWNT was in Cincinnati, the hometown of Wisconsin legend Rose Lavelle, on Tuesday and the Americans mopped the floor with Paraguay, 8-0. Lavelle scored the match winner and added three assists (all in the first 15 minutes lmao) on her home turf.
- Can not wait to drop the puck on Friday. HOCKEYYYYYYYYYYY!
About that time ⏰— Leah Doherty (@LeahGraceD) September 21, 2021
Current NCAA champs @BadgerWHockey open their season this Friday at Lindenwood.
Hear Coach Johnson's thoughts on what he expects to see from his team this weekend pic.twitter.com/yp4tcWqoEz
- Blocking shots is an art form and Tyler Inamoto is Picasso.
- The Badgers entered the final round of the Badger Invitational in the lead, but struggled on the last day and the team ended up in fourth after the final hole. Vanessa Ho led Wisconsin and finished tied for sixth with a +1.
Wisconsin finished the Badger Invitational in 4th with an 882 (+18)— Wisconsin Golf (@BadgerWGolf) September 21, 2021
Vanessa Ho led the team, finishing T6 with a 217 (+1)
Emily Lauterbach also finished top-10 at 9th with a 219 (+3)#Badgers #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/kSmYGU5giQ
- The women’s cross country team is off to a stellar start this season with two perfect scores in two meets.
That's✌️perfect scores to kickoff the season! pic.twitter.com/azzqfCpk2u— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) September 17, 2021
- Is Saturday a “must win” game for Notre Dame?
- Iowa received a commitment from Ben Kueter who is a football star that also wants to wrestle. Or is he a wrestling star that will also play football?
- Purdue men’s basketball player Mason Gillis will miss the first four games of the season due to a suspension from an offseason OWI arrest.
- Northwestern football was stinky in 2019. Is this year a repeat of that?
- Here are the top returning players for each Big Ten men’s hoops team according to Land-Grant Holy Land.
- Is Michigan football good? It kinda seems like maybe they might be.
- After an incident involving a paintball gun early Tuesday morning two Rutgers defensive backs are suspended from the team.
- Illinois women’s soccer lost to No. 21 Michigan 2-1 in overtime.
- Is Michigan State football good? It kinda seems like maybe sort of they might be.