Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- This is interesting news. The Badgers, historically, haven’t lost a ton of players in the transfer portal nor have they been super active in searching for players to transfer to UW. However, it will be an important part of recruiting moving forward: recruiting kids who are already in college in case they decide to transfer. It’s not like Wisconsin hasn’t found some really good players in the transfer portal either, for instance: Russell Wilson, J.J. Watt and current running back Chez Mellusi. I wonder how Paul Chryst will handle this new wrinkle?
Officials are set to pass a 1-year waiver next month to immediately expand the 25-man FB signing limit, sources tell @SINow.— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) September 14, 2021
Coaches can replace up to 7 players who leave for the portal. Max signing # would be 32 (25+7).
Our story from last month on this https://t.co/73XooFUM5j
- Some Wisconsin basketball legends were inducted into the UW Athletic Hall of Fame this past weekend. To me, Wilkinson is the start of the Big Man Who Can Shoot From Deep line of players at Wisconsin in the modern era. You wonder if he came along 15 years later if we would’ve gotten a look in the NBA. Fun fact I learned while reading his Wikipedia page, he has Macedonian citizenship too and plays for their national team.
Special weekend in Madison— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) September 13, 2021
Congrats to Bo Ryan, Jon Leuer and Mike Wilkinson on each being officially inducted into the UW Athletic Hall of Fame! pic.twitter.com/Osq0CA4cmG
- Dana Rettke is very talented in many ways...art is, uh, not one of them.
You can't unsee one of these drawings.— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) September 15, 2021
Good luck sleeping tonight. pic.twitter.com/BVzDWzR4KR
- To all of the youths who surely read this blog, go get your free t-shirt this weekend! The match is also free to attend and you can’t really beat those prices.
Hey @UWMadison students! Join @TheColonyUW and @AreaRED at Friday night's @BadgerMSoccer Big Ten opener and get a replica t-shirt jersey.— Wisconsin Badgers (@UWBadgers) September 14, 2021
Admission is FREE and kickoff is set for 7:30pm vs. Michigan State.
See you at McClimon Friday!#OnWisconsin #StudentNight pic.twitter.com/cJXP6tJL3B
- The Wisconsin men’s hockey team will scrimmage against Minnesota Duluth on Sunday, Oct. 3 at Chippewa Area Ice Arena. The scrimmage takes place at 1 p.m. With the NCAA passing a one-year waiver for college hockey teams to take on an NCAA opponent in a non-countable game, the Badgers and Bulldogs will meet approximately halfway and get in some preseason preparations.
- Hot damn, the WCHA is going to be stacked again this season.
- It is fun to read about other people’s weird/fun traditions for college football Saturdays. Here are some of Iowa’s. What are some of yours?
- College GameDay will be back in front of Old Main on Penn State’s campus this Saturday.
- What is wrong with Nebraska’s offense?
- Northwestern has gotten off to a slow start in volleyball. What can they do to turn it around?
- It has been kinda funny to watch Ohio State fans FREAK OUT about losing one regular season game. Here is what LGHL thinks has to happen for the rest of the season.
- With USC firing their coach it is, uh, kinda open season on their future recruiting classes. Here is who Michigan is after. Could the Badgers reach out to 2022 4-star QB Devin Brown who picked the Trojans over Wisconsin?
- Is Rutgers’ defense...really good?