Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Folks who have been reading this site for a while may remember that we used to do a post every morning (during the week) that contained updates from around the Wisconsin athletic department and the Big Ten in general. Now that it is fall (by sports being played, NOT by weather) we’ll be doing it again. You can expect this post to go up (just about) every weekday morning between 7:00 and 7:30 a.m. CT.
- While we are doing some site announcements, let me list all of the writers’ Twitter accounts so you can harass them over there too. Matt Belz, Tyler Hunt, Owen Riese, J.J. Post, Bremen Keasey, Jake Dicker, Ryan Mellenthin and Kevin O’Connell. You can find my Twitter handle at the top of this post and, as always, you can reach us @B5Q.
- You should also follow us on Instagram @buckys5thquarter and subscribe to Bucky’s 5th Podcast on Spotify, Apple and Stitcher. You can also like us on Facebook. Once Tyler finally learns how to dance, you’ll be able to find us on TikTok too.
- We’ll have a more in-depth post looking at the Badgers in the NFL, but the Pittsburgh Steelers sure are turning Heinz Field into a Camp Randall East this year.
Heavy Wisconsin presence on the Steelers this year.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) August 31, 2021
LB TJ Watt
FB Derek Watt
LB Joe Schobert
DL Isaiahh Loudermilk
RB coach Eddie Faulkner
OC Matt Canada https://t.co/Os6p7ROsKm
- James Franklin, pandering to the home crowd who, and we feel the need to emphasize this part, will not be cheering for Penn State at any point on Saturday.
#WeAre coach James Franklin on Saturday's opener at #Wisconsin: "There will be some brats and beers, and there also be some boos. But there will also be some cheers because people have missed college football."— Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) August 31, 2021
- The gospel of Culver’s is spreading throughout the land. Also, SZD is an excellent podcast if you want deep dives into the inner workings of college football around the country.
You see @culvers, that right there is what we call market clout https://t.co/wPBYa8xtGB— Split Zone Duo (@SplitZoneDuo) August 31, 2021
- Canada ended the United States’ five-tournament gold medal streak on Tuesday night, winning 3-2, thanks to Marie-Philip Poulin’s goal in OT. Congratulations to former Badgers Kristen Campbell, Emily Clark, Ann-Renee Desbiens, Sarah Nurse and Blayre Turnbull on their championship!
Blayre Turnbull is stretchered back onto the ice after suffering an injury during the Canadian celebrations— CBC Olympics (@CBCOlympics) September 1, 2021
She wasn't missing this for the world pic.twitter.com/Pemxd39hnJ
- Dana Rettke is right, there is so much talent on this year’s volleyball team.
"We have so much talent...and it's bringing out the best in everyone."@Dana_Rettke shared how she and her @BadgerVB teammates are elevating each other's play in a season with title expectations.— Wisconsin On BTN (@WisconsinOnBTN) August 31, 2021
ICYMI: @EmilyEhman's full interview with the B1G star ➡️ https://t.co/FMn99jkIo5 pic.twitter.com/ibrfG5mK37
- Mark Titus and Charlotte Wilder of FOX Sports are going to be in town all weekend. Make sure to show them a good time on Friday night.
Madison — we’re coming. pic.twitter.com/QqbdkzmnR9— People’s Sports Podcast (@PeoplesSports) August 31, 2021
- Here is what James Franklin had to say about the PSU/Wisconsin game.
- Is Nebraska’s sell-out streak important? Corn Nation says yes. I think it’s stupid and like to make fun of the Huskers for it, but I think it’s really cool that rich Husker donors bought up the rest of the tickets that were available to give away to underserved kids in the state. That’s pretty cool.
- Hope is eternal for Purdue.
- With the return of college football and fans back in the stands, local businesses in college towns are probably salivating at the opportunity. Here’s a great look at how Northwestern’s return will help out Evanston’s local spots.
- Ugh, is Ohio State going to be good at volleyball now too?
- Here is a handy guide to going to Ann Arbor, Mich. for Wolverine football games. We’re going to try and put an updated one together for Madison.
- HUGE volleyball match on BTN tonight. No. 1 Texas is in the Twin Cities to take on the Gophers. Definitely worth checking out.
- Rutgers’ home opener against Temple is a sellout. How exciting is that for Greg Schiano and the team?
- After their season-opening win over Nebraska, the Illini seem to be all in on the Bielema Experience.