Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly (sometimes more) post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
- With the first home football game of the season coming up on Saturday it is time to put on our Official Visit SZN vests and see who is coming to town for the top-20 matchup between Wisconsin and Penn State. As of right now, we’ve only seen four prospects who have publicly committed to being in Madison this weekend. Rest assured, however, there are a TON of big names who are going to be there. We respect the sanctity of the pay wall, so we won’t list these players until we can independently get confirmation, but there are a lot of talented players from the next three classes who are planning on attending the game.
- You also might notice on the UW invitations that it says “Tom Lemming Day.” For those who don’t know, Lemming is one of the original recruitniks. He’ll be in Madison taking pictures and interviewing recruits, which is a big deal because it gets them a bunch more exposure.
- 2022 3-star WR commit Vinny Anthony (Louisville, Ky.) will take an official visit to Madison for the Penn State game. It’s always nice to have already committed players on campus to try and do some recruiting themselves.
- 2023 QB Jerry Kaminski (Sun Prairie) will be making the short drive to Camp Randall for the game on Saturday. He has had a great start to the season, throwing for 556 yards (31-of-42, 73.8%) and six touchdowns with no interceptions, according to WisSports, in two blowout wins. The Badgers haven’t offered yet, but if he keeps putting up numbers like this then UW will take a long look at him.
Thank you @BadgerFootball for the invite to the game this Saturday September 4th, I’m looking forward to being there! @efjohnson1972 @CoachBobDunnJr @CoachHaering @McNamaraRivals @Evan_Flood pic.twitter.com/uCS8PhnYrn— Jerry Kaminski (@jerrykaminski1) August 31, 2021
- 2023 DL Will McDonald (Hudson) will have a dual purpose for his trip to Madison on Saturday. He’ll be the as a recruit but also as a cheerleader for his older brother Cade McDonald, a redshirt freshman DE for Wisconsin.
- 2024 OT Derek Jensen (Hartland) has received two offers (from Iowa State and Illinois) in the past 10 days and one could safely assume that the Badgers won’t wait too much longer before pulling the trigger themselves. Jensen is already 6-foot-6 and 285 pounds and, quite frankly, seems like the ideal Wisconsin target.
Former Badger lean heading to Northwestern
- He hasn’t been a Badger lean for months now, so this isn’t some huge loss on the recruiting trail, but 4-star PG Rowan Brumbaugh verbally committed to Northwestern on Monday.
Brumbaugh visited Wisconsin back in June, seemed to enjoy himself (???) and then something must’ve happened because he deleted social media posts about his trip to Madison and wasn’t considering the Badgers anymore.
Who knows what happened, but hopefully Brumbaugh enjoys his world-class education because he won’t be getting any NCAA Tournament memories while at Northwestern.