The top-seeded Wisconsin Badgers women’s volleyball team is heading to the Final Four for the second straight season. On Monday night, the Badgers defeated the No. 8 seed Florida Gators in a thrilling five-set match (30-28, 18-25, 25-22, 18-25, 15-12) to punch their ticket back to the national semifinals.
Here are some match notes, stats and fun facts as the Badgers continue their march to try and win the program’s first national title.
- Wisconsin hit a season-low .153 (59 kills – 30 errors – 189 attempts) against the Gators that hit .170 (63-31-188).
- The Badgers were outblocked 12-9, marking just the second time this season that this has happened.
- UW had a season-high 87 digs.
- This was Wisconsin’s first five-set match of the whole season and they nearly doubled their lost sets on the year as well, going from three to five.
- Redshirt senior Molly Haggerty led Wisconsin with 17 kills while Dana Rettke (16) and Grace Loberg (10) also put away double figures.
- Freshman Devyn Robinson recorded a career-high six blocks to lead UW.
- Lauren Barnes had a match-high 28 digs, which tied her career-high as well. Sydney Hilley and Giorgia Civita both chipped in 17 digs.
- Hilley also recorded 49 assists, giving her a double-double.
- Barnes and Civita each had two service aces.
A look inside the broadcast as @BadgerVB advances to #NCAA National Semifinals. @JonAriasRadio on the call, remotely!— Justin Helm (@JustinKHelm) April 20, 2021
Video Courtesy: NCAA/ESPN
Audio: Learfield-IMG/iHeartRadio#UWBadgers #NCAA #Broadcasting pic.twitter.com/LNG3Id5cy0
- There were 31 ties and 17 lead changes in the heart-pounding match.
- Wisconsin will make its fourth overall appearance in the NCAA National Semifinals. The Badgers also advanced in 2000, 2013 and 2019.
- The Badgers will take on the No. 4 seed Texas Longhorns on Thursday night at 8:30 p.m. CT live on ESPN.