The No. 1 seeded Wisconsin Badgers men’s hockey team (19-8-1 overall, 17-6-1 Big Ten) had a bye to the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament on Monday afternoon. They are now ready to face off against the No. 5 seeded Penn State Nittany Lions (10-11-0 overall, 7-11-0 Big Ten), who dispatched the No. 4 seeded Notre Dame Fighting Irish 6-3 on Sunday afternoon.
A familiar Big Ten tourney foe --— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) March 15, 2021
⏰: 3:30 p.m. CT
: Notre Dame, Ind.@BigTenNetwork
https://t.co/FxC3r9y5sx#OnWisconsin || @everlightsolar pic.twitter.com/8ax9BlwqVP
How to watch/listen
TV: BTN, 3:30 p.m., CST
Streaming: FOX Sports Go
Radio/Satellite: 1310 AM
Live stats: Here!
Arena: Compton Family Ice Arena, Notre Dame, Ind.
Fun facts (courtesy of the media guides)
- This year’s regular-season Big Ten title marked UW’s first in the Big Ten and first since 2000. The Badgers own four conference regular-season titles all-time (1977, 1990, 2000, 2021).
- The Badgers went 3-1-0 against PSU during the regular season, winning 6-3, 7-3 and 4-1, but falling 5-4.
- Now in the eighth year of the Big Ten tournament, the Badgers have skated against only three teams: Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan.
- The Badgers are in the Big Ten semifinals for the first time since the 2016–17 season when they fell in the title game, 2-1 in double overtime, to...Penn State.
- The Badgers lead the nation with 107 goals and their 3.82 goals per game is third.
- Badgers hold three of the nation’s top four spots in scoring with sophomore Cole Caufield leading the country (46 points), senior Linus Weissbach third (38 points) and sophomore forward Dylan Holloway fourth (34 points). A fourth Badger, senior forward Ty Pelton-Byce (28 points), shares 10th in the country in scoring.
- Wisconsin trails 16-21-3 in the all-time series and is set to play in the 41st meeting in the series.
- Six of Wisconsin’s 13 Big Ten playoff games have come against Penn State (2-4-0).
- In 32 of 40 games in the all-time series between Wisconsin and Penn State, at least one team has scored four goals in the game.