Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly (sometimes more) post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
- 2022 3-star S Austin Brown (Johnston City, Ill.) out of Johnston City High School received an offer from the Badgers last week. Brown has a dozen offers but Iowa State, Boston College and Cincinnati have separated themselves from the pack according to his 247 profile. He also has offers from Purdue and a host of MAC schools. The 6-foot-1 and 190 pound athlete also plays QB for his high school but UW is recruiting him for the defensive backfield. Given his offer list, the Badgers will probably be a contender for Brown’s services.
- 2022 3-star WR Matthew Golden (Houston) out of Klein Cain High School announced that he had received an offer from Wisconsin with the most bonkers picture selection I’ve ever seen in one of these tweets. Where the hell did a high school kid in 2021 come across that photo?!? I love him already and will be crushed if the Badgers don’t get him. Anyways, Golden also has offers from Arkansas, Cincinnati, Colorado, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, SMU, TCU and other smaller schools. The 6-foot-1 and 190 pound wideout is rated as the No. 60 WR and No. 411 player overall in the nation.
- 2022 3-star WR Vinny Anthony II (Louisville, Ky.) out Louisville Male High School announced that he has received an offer from UW. The only other Power 5 offer that Anthony has right now is from Duke, but he is receiving interest from Cincinnati, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Mizzou, Northwestern, Purdue and Vanderbilt. The 6-foot-1 and 170 pound wideout has a very beatable list right now and the Badgers should be in the mix with him until the end of his recruitment.
God is good Blessed, humbled and excited to get an offer from Wisconsin @BadgerFootball Thank you @CoachJoeRudolph #OnWisconsin ‼️@bigten @LMHSCoachWolfe @coachnatejones @MaleBulldogs @Coach_CTaylor @PTP_Sports @SWiltfong247 @mcmichael20 @JoshHelmholdt pic.twitter.com/rNMJKxYn2D— Vinny Anthony II (@VinnyAnthony1) February 25, 2021
- 2022 3-star CB A’Khoury Lyde (Wayne, N.J.) out of DePaul Catholic announced that he had received an offer from the Badgers last week on Twitter. Lyde also has offers from Boston College, Duke, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, Pitt, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and West Virginia among others. The 5-foot-10 and 170 pound corner was a target of new cornerback’s coach Hank Poteat when Poteat was at Toledo and clearly his interest carried over now that he’s in Madison.
- 2022 3-star RB Xavier Brown (Lexington, Ky.) received and offer from the Wisconsin Badgers this past week according to his Twitter account. He stands at 5-foot-11 and weighs around 180 pounds. He currently has one Crystal Ball prediction to Boston College and he also has offers from Eastern Kentucky, Liberty, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Western Kentucky. While he is listed as a running back, Brown had 45 receptions for 877 yards and nine TDs last season and his Hudl page lists him as playing wide receiver too. Presumably the Badgers could find a spot for a versatile weapon like this.
Targets heading elsewhere
- The Badgers offered 3-star ATH Rodney Hill (Statesboro, Ga.) two weeks ago and it apparently did not register much of an impact as Hill announced that he was committing to Virginia on Wednesday afternoon.
Transfer portal news
- Former Badgers defensive back Madison Cone will be playing his final season for the Buffalo Bulls. We wish him well and hope that he has a productive and successful year in the MAC.