Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Chucky Hepburn is a freaking pitbull.
So much Davion Mitchell in Chucky Hepburn pic.twitter.com/bH9VmNep7d— Asher Low (@alow_33) December 7, 2021
- LaBahn is the best arena in the country for women’s hockey!
Thankful for the best fans in the country!— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) December 7, 2021
The #Badgers lead the NCAA in attendance this year with an average of 2,273 fans per home game, almost 1,000 fans more than the second-place school!#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/bDptUYTXdN
- Listen up nerds. If you want some money for your “books” for “class” at “school” head to the women’s hoops game on Thursday. Bonus...you get to yell at Michigan too!
@UWMadison students— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) December 7, 2021
We need you on Thursday as we have a B1G matchup against nationally ranked Michigan at 8:00PM!
Come support and you could win $400 for textbooks ‼️#OnWisconsin | @AreaRED pic.twitter.com/wZXrqwPqjG
- It’s the Teddy Toss on Saturday at the Kohl Center. This is a cool tradition that many hockey teams do.
- I, for one, welcome our new Matt Henningsen overlords.
.@matthenningsen is going to change the world someday ... we're just lucky we get to witness it— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) December 6, 2021
He is one of 13 NFF National Scholar-Athletes and finalists for the "Academic Heisman," and he is the only one in the current class with a 4.0 undergraduate GPA. pic.twitter.com/rRnmIoJ8nS
- Dana Rettke’s blog about NIL is a great read to see how some athletes are taking advantage of the new rules.
- Freshman wrestler, and B5Q Commentariat Favorite, Dean Hamiti is moving on up the rankings!
New InterMat rankings are out and two new Badgers are now ranked ‼️— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) December 8, 2021
The NWCA Poll puts the Badgers at No.16 and InterMat places the Badgers at No. 17 for duals
- Minnesota men’s basketball was supposed to be bad this year. Why haven’t they lost a game yet? (Before you get into it, yes their schedule is weak, but they just beat a decent Mississippi State team on the road. I’d imagine we’ll find out just how good they are in their next two games against Michigan State and Michigan.)
- MSU is losing their cornerback’s coach to Georgia Tech.
- Can Iowa football beat elite teams?
- Purdue DE George Karlaftis is declaring for the NFL Draft, thank God.
- Northwestern men’s hoops won at Maryland for the first time ever. Are the ‘Cats good this year?
- Ohio State hired a new defensive coordinator. It was a good hire. I hate it.
- Michigan offensive coordinator Josh Gattis won the Broyles Award for best assistant coach in the country.
- Rutgers men’s hoops can’t score easy baskets. It has had an adverse effect on their record.
- Former Illinois hoops legend Ayo Dosunmu got his first career NBA start for the Bulls on Monday.
Men’s basketball scores from Tuesday
Michigan 102 - Nebraska 67
Women’s basketball scores from Tuesday
Mount St. Mary’s 50 - No. 20 Ohio State 94