Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- As we reach the end of another year I would like to take a quick moment to say thank you for reading and interacting with our silly, little blog. The internet, for all of its vastness and things to do, can feel lonely sometimes and having a community like this is a great haven. I enjoy writing here for myriad reasons and one of the main ones is seeing what you all think about whatever topic I’ve decided to pontificate on. I hope everyone has (and has been having) a safe, healthy and happy holiday season. We’ll be a little bit slower around here on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but then we’ll be right in the thick of bowl season discussion starting on Sunday.
- Welp, looks like Barry Alvarez is going to have to fill in for ANOTHER Wisconsin bowl game. In all seriousness, we hope that Chris McIntosh only has mild symptoms and makes a full and speedy recovery.
- Both of the men’s and women’s basketball games from Thursday were cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns in both programs.
- Is there nothing that Sydney Hilley won’t set up?
what a brilliant plan by me lol https://t.co/7TW7DL62uI— sydney hilley (@sydneyhilley) December 23, 2021
- Defender Aidan McConnell continues to receive recognition for her first season in Madison.
Congrats to #Badgers @AidanMcConnell7 as the defender was named to the College Soccer News Women's All-Freshman Second Team and the @TopDrawerSoccer Freshman Best XI Second Team!#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/1U2xjF1vpe— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) December 23, 2021
- The offensive production for the Badgers this season has been insane. Can’t wait to watch Daryl Watts chase the scoring record in the second half of the season.
- Matt Henningnsen will look to improve his NFL Draft stock during the East/West Shrine Bowl.
- I’m pretty sure that Braelon Allen won’t win the Freshman of the Year award, but it’s awesome that he’s a finalist.
- Siiiiiggggghhhhh, one year too late, Mayo Bowl. One year too late.
- Former Badger Michael Mersch is lighting up the AHL this season.
Our Captain, Mike Mersch, currently leads the AHL with 14 goals so far this season pic.twitter.com/F9KcclJ77e— Rochester Americans (@AmerksHockey) December 22, 2021
- The day after the men’s hockey team won the national title in 2006 I got to take pictures with the trophy on the patio at State Street Brats because my buddy I was there with had class with Adam Burish and they were friendly. The team was also HAMMERED and on their way to the Kohl Center for the welcome-back-to-Madison party. Anyways, it’s cool that the volleyball team let fans take pictures with the trophy this week.
- Updated rankings for the wrestling team.
nterMat rankings are in and 8️⃣ Badgers are in— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) December 22, 2021
Wisconsin sits at No.16 for duals and No.19 for tournament
#️⃣5️⃣ Trent Hillger
#️⃣6️⃣ Eric Barnett
#️⃣1️⃣1️⃣ Austin Gomez
#️⃣1️⃣7️⃣ Dean Hamiti
#️⃣1️⃣8️⃣ Andrew McNally
#️⃣2️⃣3️⃣ Kyle Burwick
#️⃣2️⃣4️⃣ Chris Weiler
#️⃣2️⃣6️⃣ Braxton Amos pic.twitter.com/yK6qfXqLgh
- Speaking of wrestling, the Midlands Championships have been cancelled for this season. The 58th annual version of the prestigious event is off, but they’ll be back next year.
- Iowa’s Airing of Grievances.
- Legendary Penn State volleyball coach Russ Rose is retiring.
- Nebraska’s d-line coach is heading to Oregon.
- Should Northwestern skip the transfer portal and just stand pat at quarterback?
- Big Ten teams as characters from Home Alone. The Badgers get a pretty good one!
- Michigan men’s basketball has been a large disappointment this year. What do they need to fix before Big Ten play starts?
- Lol, Rutgers is playing in a bowl now. Since Texas A&M had to pull out of the Gator Bowl due to COVID-19 and Rutgers had the highest APR of any 5-7 school...the Scarlet Knights are headed to Florida to take on Wake Forest.
- Illinois whupped Mizzou in their annual men’s basketball matchup. Do they have a chance to make a run in the Big Ten this season?
- Philadelphia high school hoops is making a big impact on Maryland men’s hoops. As a former Philadelphia high school basketball legend* myself, I understand how much bringing in a Philly tough player can change the fortunes of a team.
*do not fact check this
Men’s basketball scores from Wednesday/Thursday
Green Bay 56 - Minnesota 72
Northern Kentucky 61 - Indiana 79
Kennesaw State 74 - Nebraska 88
Illinois 88 - Missouri 63
Quinnipiac - Penn State, cancelled
Central Connecticut State - Rutgers, postponed
George Mason AND Morgan State - No. 24 Wisconsin, cancelled
Women’s basketball scores from Wednesday/Thursday
Wyoming 61 - Nebraska 72
Missouri 84 - Illinois 65
Southern Illinois 37 - No. 8 Indiana 70
Minnesota 63 - Drake 77
Towson - Penn State, cancelled
Eastern Michigan - No. 9 Michigan, cancelled
Eastern Illinois - Wisconsin, cancelled