Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Congratulations are in order for former Badger Sam Dekker and his wife Olivia Harlan Dekker who announced that they are expecting a child in May. Love Greg Gard getting out on the recruiting trail and identifying talent this early.
You heard it here first folks- our baby, due May 2022, already has a scholarship offer from @BadgerMBB We’re very humbled, but obviously considering all options due to the unparalleled talent level of this precocious fetus (currently the size of a lemon)! pic.twitter.com/9Br3IDwBzg— Olivia Harlan Dekker (@OliviaDekker) November 4, 2021
- Jonathan Taylor was announced as AFC Player of the Month for October and then went out and absolutely tore up the entire New York Jets organization on Thursday night. He ran 19 times for 172 yards (9.1 ypc) and scored two touchdowns while also catching both passes Carson Wentz threw his way for an additional 28 yards.
- Look at these two legends!
- Matt Henningsen would be an excellent selection for the Burlsworth Trophy this year, given out annually to the best player in the country who started his career as a walk-on.
- Due to everyone having primary jobs that aren’t this, we were unable to attend men’s basketball practice on Thursday. However, Jaypo has what looks to be Greg Gard’s rotation for this season.
Update from #Badgers hoops practice: Davison, Davis, Crowl, Wahl and...Chucky Hepburn are the top five. No surprise. Next are Carlson, Vogt, Neath and Bowman. The keys to the bus have been given to Mr. Hepburn.— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) November 4, 2021
- Congratulations to Aleem Ford for making the Lakeland Magic, the G-League affiliate of the Orlando Magic and defending G-League champs. A pair of Michigan Men, big man Jon Teske and wing Iggy Brazdeikis join him on the roster as Big Ten alums.
Lakeland Magic 2021-22 Roster: #11 Aleem Ford pic.twitter.com/LYZeGFmhrI— Lakeland Magic (@LakelandMagic) November 4, 2021
- If I may take a rare serious turn here: Colten Bartholomew of the Wisconsin State Journal reported on Thursday night that Wisconsin senior OL Josh Seltzner was arrested in October for OWI. It was apparently Seltzner’s first OWI offense which, in Wisconsin, isn’t considered a crime but instead a “traffic violation.” Bartholomew notes that the Badgers dealt with discipline internally, but Seltzner did play in the Purdue game, less than a week after his arrest. He did miss the Iowa game for unknown reasons.
I literally never ask you people for anything but allow me to ask you for this: don’t drink and drive. You’ll hurt yourself or, even worse, you’ll hurt someone else.
- Alright, back to nonsense! I wish I could get free chicken fingers and watch Wisconsin volleyball. Northwestern students are so lucky.
FINAL SCORE: Flagler 70 - Valpo 67 pic.twitter.com/VgLTYPhEhN— Valpo Basketball (@ValpoBasketball) November 5, 2021
- Should be an interesting series for Wisconsin goalie Jared Moe.
Like a lot of Twin Cities-area kids, Jared Moe "grew up wanting to be a Gopher," his dad says.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) November 4, 2021
And he was. But now the goalie is on the @BadgerMHockey side of the Border Battle series starting Friday, making for some more intrigue in the rivalry.https://t.co/HuDDoHpr9K
- Liz Gregorski rules. Wisconsin volleyball is such a national brand that they aren’t confined to recruiting in one specific area and as such, Gregorski is the only Wisconsin native on the team this year. It’s always great to see a local kid do well and she is part of what makes Wisconsin, as a place, better.
- Iowa has fired volleyball coach Vicki Brown.
‼️BREAKING from @B1GVolleyball‼️— Emily Ehman (@emilyehman) November 4, 2021
Vicki Brown has been dismissed as the Head Coach of Iowa, without cause, with 4 weeks still remaining in the season.
Assistants Dave Brown and William Tatge will take over for the time being. https://t.co/e2qxWOnUOy
- The local writers in the Twin Cities seem to have some sort of vendetta against the Gophers which, fine so do I, but they’re probably supposed to be a bit more objective than I. The Daily Gopher has a good post about it, and the comments are actually useful too!
- No. 4 Maryland women’s basketball capped off its exhibition slate with a 125-33 victory over Georgian Court. Lmao, who benefits from this?
- The Badgers women’s soccer team lost to Rutgers in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament and now RU is in the finals. Coincidence?
- Nebraska took care of Illinois on the volleyball court on Thursday night.
- Penn State’s men’s basketball team has a whole new coaching staff. Who even are these guys?
- What will the Iowa men’s hoops starting five look like this year?