Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Johnny Davis getting some national recognition for his showing in Maui/Vegas. It’s very early and almost unfair to even bring up, but if Davis continues playing like this he’s going to be an NBA Draft pick, and likely a first round one. While that will be a bummer for the Badgers, it will help with recruiting because that is what players want to see. They need to see a direct path to the next level and Wisconsin has rarely given players that path.
- Former Bucky’s 5th Podcast guest, Bravo reality star and current comedienne Hannah Berner made the Random College Athletes account on Monday.
Hannah Berner— Random College Athletes (@RandomAthletess) November 29, 2021
Wisconsin, Tennis 2010-2013 pic.twitter.com/Yt3sArDdzY
- The Badgers moved up one spot, to No. 4, in the last AVCA Coaches Poll of the season.
Last regular season coach's poll has 8 @B1GVolleyball teams:— Emily Ehman (@emilyehman) November 29, 2021
▪️ #4 @BadgerVB ⬆️ 1 (won B1Gs)
▪️ #8 @PurdueVB ⬇️ 2 (L to Neb.)
▪️ #9 @OhioStateWVB & @PennStateVBALL stay
▪️ #10 @Huskervball & #11 @GopherVBall switch
▪️ @IlliniVBall & @umichvball RV as ILL drops out of top-25
- Dana Rettke was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for the final week of the season. She recorded match highs of 18 kills and seven blocks with a .484 hitting percentage in a Nov. 26 win over Nebraska that earned the Badgers a share of the conference championship and then followed that up with eight blocks and five kills in Nov. 27 victory over Indiana that secured the outright Big Ten title for Wisconsin. This was her second career Defensive Player of the Week honor (first since Nov. 26, 2018) to go along with 11 career Player of the Week awards (two this season).
- New basketball jerseys are set to debut at home on Saturday against Marquette. The game will also be a Stripe Out! These always look so cool on TV but, I’m also a simple man.
Saturday it's a ❗️❕STRIPE OUT❗️❕— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) November 29, 2021
We'll be debuting this season's new "By the Players" alternate uniforms at home this Saturday. Help us STRIPE OUT the Kohl Center!
⚪️ https://t.co/Hdmr3HW14c pic.twitter.com/eZ8kHxxfZU
- Congrats to Pat Richter on being the recipient of the Big Ten’s Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award. The award recognizes Big Ten football students who have achieved success in the areas of leadership following their academic and athletic careers at a Big Ten university.
- The Border Battle renews this weekend as the No. 1 Badgers welcome the No. 5 Gophers to LaBahn Arena for a key WCHA series.
- Rose Lavelle still kicking ass for the USWNT.
- Pro Football Focus released their all-Big Ten teams on Monday and a number of Badgers made the cut.
First team: LG Josh Seltzner, LB Leo Chenal, LB Jack Sanborn
Second team: DL Matt Henningsen
Third team: RB Braelon Allen, TE Jake Ferguson, C Joe Tippmann, EDGE Nick Herbig, CB Caesar Williams
Honorable mention: RT Logan Bruss, DL Keeanu Benton, S John Torchio, S Scott Nelson
- The Gophers got rid of their offensive coordinator (jealous!) and here are some ideas who might be next to take the job.
- One of the highest rated recruits in Maryland football history is hitting the transfer portal.
- Reasons for optimism AND pessimism surrounding Rutgers football.
- Northwestern football had a whole host of players enter the transfer portal on Monday.
- Old friend Jalen Berger is sticking around the Big Ten. The former 4-star RB is heading to Michigan State, a team the Badgers play on Oct. 8 next season.
- My pick for men’s basketball Big Ten Freshman of the Year, Nebraska’s Bryce McGowens, won the weekly award again.
- The game isn’t until Wednesday, but here is a preview of Michigan/UNC in the B1G/ACC Challenge.
- Speaking of the B1G/ACC Challenge, it started on Monday night and the Conference of Champions is already up 2-0. Iowa beat Virginia and Illinois took down Notre Dame.
Men’s basketball scores from Monday
Iowa 75 - Virginia 74
Notre Dame 72 - Illinois 82
Women’s basketball scores from Monday