Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- After we write an article about how Frank Kaminsky is succeeding in an expanded role in Phoenix he goes out and has the best game of his career! Coincidence? I doubt it! Is Kaminsky the reason the Suns didn’t give Deandre Ayton the max extension??? People are wondering.
Any surprise here?— Phoenix Suns (@Suns) November 11, 2021
Tonight's @FanDuel Stat Line of the Game pic.twitter.com/4mfdiNZQRe
- The Badgers will be honoring former head coach Bo Ryan during Friday night’s game against UW-Green Bay, which is cool because UW-Green Bay’s head coach is Will Ryan, Bo’s son.
Don't miss this Friday's game, as we welcome back Wisconsin's all-time winningest coach with a special halftime salute to Bo Ryan! pic.twitter.com/RDpRtOJ4pG— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) November 10, 2021
- It’s actually good if an entire conference’s worth of fans know what your name is as an official and dreads having you call their games. Big Ten basketball is back! Also, there ended up being a third double tech called in the Michigan/Buffalo game lmao.
Bo Boroskis crew has given out two sets of double technicals already in Ann Arbor— Asher Low (@alow_33) November 11, 2021
- PFF rankings are only good when they rate the players I like highly.
Lowest passer rating allowed among Big Ten CBs:— PFF College (@PFF_College) November 10, 2021
Cameron Brown: 37.6
Caesar Williams: 38.2
Denzel Burke: 45.2 pic.twitter.com/fZkuptuz6u
The highest-graded defenders in College Football pic.twitter.com/ZrGDVWoP4R— PFF College (@PFF_College) November 11, 2021
- This is exciting for the women’s hockey tournament. More hockey is always better than less hockey imo.
The NCAA women's hockey tournament will expand from 8 to 11 teams. The women's hockey committee will decide whether the change will take effect this season or next. https://t.co/w7xC50iWmE— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) November 11, 2021
- While there was bad news on the injury front on Thursday with the announcement that RB Chez Mellusi is going to miss the rest of the season, starting RG Jack Nelson appears to be on track to play this weekend against Northwestern.
Chryst says RG Jack Nelson has practiced this week and will be available for Saturday.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) November 11, 2021
- Congrats on your first win in Madison, coach!
"The future is a whole string of nows."— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) November 12, 2021
Congratulations to @marisamoseley on your first Badger victory. Here's to many more! pic.twitter.com/0E0mJsBabc
- The Badgers are at Notre Dame on Friday night AND on national TV (NBCSN).
Back on the road @NBCSports on Fridayhttps://t.co/vS0a9VfRqz both days pic.twitter.com/JCPPI6whSV— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) November 10, 2021
- Speaking of Wisconsin sporting events on Friday night, the volleyball team welcomes Purdue to the Field House and well...revenge is on everyone’s mind. Even these two guys who are sleeping. They are dreaming about revenge.
Yo, we’re gonna need more energy from these two! https://t.co/7CaPTLDCBW— Kelly Sheffield (@KellyPSheffield) November 11, 2021
- The wrestling team signed one athlete earlier this week during the early signing period. I don’t know about the Oregon high school wrestling scene, but winning state championships three times seems good, and not bad, to me.
This new Badger is official! ✍️— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) November 10, 2021
Welcome to the Wisconsin family @JamesRow_1!
2021 Cadet World Team Silver Medalist
3x Oregon State Champion
Learn more https://t.co/XrKf7BlcS6#OnWisconsin | #JumpAround | #NSD2021 pic.twitter.com/fDFS6xcRl5
- The women’s soccer team embarks on their NCAA Tournament journey on Friday night at McClimon against Butler in the first round.
Get ready for our matchup against Butler tomorrow by reading the five things to know!https://t.co/BCpNaW7Kus— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) November 11, 2021
- MSU running back Kenneth Walker III has been one of the best players in the country this year and, as such, he is a semifinalist for the Walter Camp Award.
- The Iowa men’s hoops team signed two players during the early signing period, including Josh Dix a player Wisconsin was interested in.
- Penn State men’s hockey is off to a rough start in conference play, dropping their first three games.
- Nebraska LB JoJo Doman is out for the season.
- Purdue football is gunning for their first upset of the season against Ohio State this weekend.
- I watched the first half of the Michigan men’s hoops game against Buffalo the other day and...Wisconsin might have trouble with the Wolverines this year. Moussa Diabate in particular was a revelation. Like, I knew he was good, but that kid is GOOD.
- Senior big man Cliff Omoruyi is trying to make this a season to remember for Rutgers men’s hoops.
- Minnesota women’s hoops signed a top-ten class this week with all the players coming from the Twin Cities metro area and three of the four being top-100 players.
Men’s Big Ten basketball scores from Wednesday/Thursday nights
Buffalo 76 - No. 6 Michigan 88
Lehigh 70 - Rutgers 73 (OT)
Youngstown St. 59 - Penn State 75
George Washington 64 - No. 21 Maryland 71
Women’s Big Ten basketball scores from Wednesday/Thursday nights
Bucknell 48 - No. 17 Ohio State 71
No. 8 Indiana 86 - Butler 63
Purdue 79 - Western Kentucky 69
UIC 49 - Northwestern 72
Rider 69 - Penn State 83
Samford 54 - No. 9 Iowa 91
Prairie View A&M 47 - Nebraska 102