Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Banner raisings should just be penciled in for all home openers for the women’s hockey team tbqh.
The #Badgers women's hockey team will unveil its 2021 NCAA championship banner before Saturday's home opener against St. Cloud State. That ceremony at LaBahn is scheduled for 1:45.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 4, 2021
- After another sweep over the weekend, the Badgers remain the No. 1 team in the country.
Still holding down the top spot in the @USCHO Poll#Badgers || #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/LvV3byhomt— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) October 4, 2021
- The Badgers also took home a pair of WCHA awards this week as sophomore forward Makenna Webster and freshman forward Sarah Wozniewicz earned WCHA player of the week honors, the league announced on Monday. Webster was named WCHA Forward of the week after scoring seven points with two goals while Wozniewicz was named WCHA Rookie of the Week after scoring a goal in each game. Webster currently leads the WCHA and NCAA in scoring with 13 points.
- This was the only good part of the football game on Saturday.
@JennyTaft took Gus Johnson skating in Madison and it was everything— FOX Sports (@FOXSports) October 2, 2021
How'd they do, @BadgerMHockey?pic.twitter.com/LJttmEqQa7
- We’ve given the football team a ton of grief for their performance so far this year, and rightfully so, but they’ve also had an extremely difficult run to start the year. In fact, by SP+ they’ve had the most difficult starting schedule in the country!
Hardest schedules to date, per SP+ SOS:— Bill Connelly (@ESPN_BillC) October 4, 2021
2. Ga Tech
Hardest full-season schedules:
2. Penn State
Not great timing on that, PSU.
- Former UW running back Bradrick Shaw had a nice touchdown run for Northern Iowa this past weekend. He has had quite a journey throughout his college career so hopefully he has a killer last season for the Panthers.
The way my brothers blocking for me down the field https://t.co/j92Ajkpwob— Bradrick Shaw (@bradricks7) October 3, 2021
- Interesting to see who knows ball and, on the other side, who thinks that LeBron is better than Jordan.
Michael Jordan or LeBron James?— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) October 4, 2021
Let the debates begin... pic.twitter.com/xU5Eew2497
- It was the first day of practice in the gym for the women’s basketball squad and, as a long time basketball lover, there are few better sounds than the squeaking of basketball shoes on the court. With both the men’s and women’s teams in various states of starting over, this season should be a fun (??) learning experience for everyone.
Sights and sounds from Day 1️⃣❗️#OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/0QgH95nAD8— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) October 1, 2021
- Should be a fun event and a great opportunity for East Coast Badgers to check out the top-25 wrestling team.
JUST ANNOUNCED: College wrestling makes its debut at #PruCenter on Nov 27 with #GardenStateGrapple presented by Spartan-X! @ruwrestling and @badgerwrestling take on @uncwrestling and @hofstrawrest in high profile dual meets!— Prudential Center (@PruCenter) October 4, 2021
Tickets on sale now! ♂️ https://t.co/brtehfBZxf pic.twitter.com/uNjU6cVNdv
- Only fools doubt Phil Parker and the Iowa defense.
- The Penn State men’s hockey team opened the season with a sweep of LIU.
- What is Purdue’s path to a bowl game this year?
- Northwestern’s defense...stinks?
- Who is Ohio State’s toughest remaining football opponent?
- Do the Wolverines have the right vibes to win the Big Ten East?
- Big Ten wrestling tiers from our pals at On The Banks.
- Midseason football report cards for Illinois’ (Wisconsin’s next opponent) offense and defense/special teams.
- Indiana’s new offensive coordinator is doing less with more.
- The Daily Gopher revisits their football predictions and asks for updated ones.