Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- It’s always cool to see in-state running backs take care of each other.
"That's not a guy you want to disappoint" - @BraelonAllen— Zach Hanley (@ZachHanley2) October 18, 2021
Braelon Allen said that @Melvingordon25 is a call away anytime he has a question or needs some advice. Not a bad role model for the Big Ten Freshman of the Week to have. #Badgers #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/26Fs6njqD0
- After a road sweep of Minnesota Duluth the Badgers...remain the No. 1 team in the nation. This coming weekend, a 1 vs. 2 matchup is on the docket as Wisconsin hosts Ohio State.
- Speaking of big matchups, the Badgers welcome a pair of top-15 opponents to the Field House this weekend and that ol’ barn should be absolutely rocking.
The top five stayed the same, but there was some shuffling in the rest of this week’s AVCA Division I Top 25 Poll. Check out the latest version here: https://t.co/zH1HgE3MRS pic.twitter.com/B7Rq25dqro— AVCA (@AVCAVolleyball) October 18, 2021
- Free soccer and a free Chris Mueller soccer shirt? You should probably head to McClimon Tuesday night so support the lads.
- The men’s hockey team is just outside the top-20 in the USCHO rankings but their upcoming schedule is jam-packed with ranked opponents. They take on No. 3 St. Cloud State this weekend, No. 1 Michigan the following weekend and then No. 4 Minnesota the weekend after that. Woof, we’re gonna see how good this team is real quick.
- Congratulations to Noah Burks on becoming a future Wife Guy.
- Getting excited for basketball season over here.
- Speaking of basketball, the preseason AP top-25 came out for the men and, while the Badgers aren’t ranked or even receiving votes, there are plenty of Big Ten teams in the poll. Michigan is at No. 6, Purdue at No. 7, Illinois at No. 11, Ohio State at No. 17 and Maryland at No. 21. Michigan State and Indiana are the first two teams out of the top-25 and Rutgers is also receiving votes. The preseason top five is Gonzaga, UCLA, Kansas, Villanova and Texas.
- One of the biggest games of the Big Ten season, Michigan/Michigan State, was announced to be the FOX Big Noon Saturday game next weekend. The online discourse has already been toxic as hell, so maybe it’s a good thing the game is early and won’t give people enough time to get gassed up in the parking lot.
- Friend of the blog, Jon Johnston of Corn Nation, went viral after Nebraska lost to Minnesota.
- What does Purdue need to do to stay on track and beat Wisconsin this week?
- Ohio State volleyball is good. They play the Badgers on Friday night.
- Michigan and Northwestern have a meaningful new trophy they are playing for starting this season.
- Rutgers basketball legend, and Philadelphia native, Kahleah Copper helped the Chicago Sky win the WNBA title and won Finals MVP.