Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- The women’s hockey team ended up coming back to win 5-4 in OT, but the first period was ROUGH for the Badgers.
I'm still working on the details here but it looks like today's first period was the first time since its inaugural 1999-2000 season that a @BadgerWHockey opponent had more goals in a period (2) than UW had shots on goal (1).— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 17, 2021
Here’s the game winning goal which was set up by brilliant play from Daryl Watts.
Just watching this on repeat all bus ride home #Badgers || #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/mVSAWRoQfK— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) October 17, 2021
- This answer makes me very mad. Either Paul Chryst ignored the fairly basic math at play here or he didn’t know it. I can’t figure out which is worse to be honest.
Asked Paul Chryst if they considered going for two when they scored to make it 19-7. pic.twitter.com/Abp7zVyTSs— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) October 17, 2021
- We couldn’t be in attendance at the Kohl Center for the Red/White Basketball Scrimmage Spectacular, or whatever it was called on Sunday, but we’ll have a roundup of tweets later on Monday about what happened. It appears that everyone at least had fun.
We had a ton of fun today. So great to be back in the Kohl Center with our fans! pic.twitter.com/QOWT9uQjm6— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) October 18, 2021
- The men’s soccer team was this close to tying the game against Michigan at the death on Friday, but the Wolverines goalie was up to the task. Thus ended Wisconsin’s eight match unbeaten streak, five match winning streak and five match shutout streak. It was a good run!
Jack Finnegan came this close in the 90th minute to equalize the game! pic.twitter.com/cP20yB07nX— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerMSoccer) October 16, 2021
- The women’s soccer team has two matches remaining in the regular season, both at home, but ended their road portion of the season with a 1-0 loss at Nebraska on Sunday. The Buckeyes and Hawkeyes are both battling with the Badgers in the middle of the table and a pair of wins would be critical for UW’s postseason hopes.
Ending the regular-season at home! pic.twitter.com/F3FowSpRQk— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) October 18, 2021
- Bremen has been busy all weekend with packing up his life as he is moving on to a new job (he’ll still be writing here about volleyball and whatever else, don’t worry) but he wanted to make sure that y’all know that the Badgers swept Michigan over the weekend.
That's a wrap on our trip across the great lake. pic.twitter.com/xnQN19EK97— Wisconsin Volleyball but Spooky (@BadgerVB) October 16, 2021
- The men’s hockey team started off the weekend of beating Army at sports well with a sweep over the Black Knights on Thursday and Friday. Ahhh, I used to love going to hockey games...so much fun.
Make the Kohl go crazy, @TarekBaker16!! pic.twitter.com/VEfebu0Dsp— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) October 17, 2021
- Purdue football is ranked for the first time since 2007. Wisconsin, a team they haven’t beaten in eons, is on the schedule this week.
- The Fraudowa Fraudeyes are down real bad after losing to Purdue on Saturday.
- LSU has a job opening at head coach now. Here’s why Penn State’s James Franklin is a perfect fit.
- Northwestern won a football game on Saturday? That can’t be right.
- P.J. Fleck remains an insufferable douche.
- Indiana’s defense has a bone to pick with their offense.
- Apparently Nebraska was too sleepy to beat Minnesota on Saturday?
- Michigan football has higher expectations now.
- The Rutgers women’s soccer team clinched at least a share of the Big Ten title on Sunday. It is the first Big Ten title, of any kind, in school history.