Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- In my quest to not get worked up about Wisconsin football last Saturday, I made it until this play. Pretty good, imo!
Asked Mertz about this play & missing Davis— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) October 11, 2021
“I was hanging on Chim. I shouldn’t have done that. I should have worked through my progressions. I was hanging on him, thought he was going to squeeze out of there. I should have worked through & it would have taken me right to Danny” pic.twitter.com/iQVfjUkmin
- The men’s soccer team picked up yet another win on Tuesday night against a dreadful Western Illinois side. This was a beautiful ball for the third goal (out of four scored) of the match. The Badgers have now won five in a row, all via shutout, and are unbeaten in their last eight matches.
- Why would you ever watch highlights in regular-motion?
Some sunshine on a rainy day. The sunshine is a bunch of slow-motion highlights of your favorite team. pic.twitter.com/AodV4AjnaZ— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) October 12, 2021
- Sam Dekker has improved his outside shot and it’s looking real nice.
- DJ Shawna rules. Here is her story.
- Jonathan Taylor had a monster game for the Colts on Monday Night Football, which you’ll be able to read more about in Kevin’s Badgers in the NFL post coming later this week.
- The men’s hockey team is back on the ice for a series with Army on Thursday and Friday. Hopefully with the short week they’ll forget quickly about getting their doors blown off in their season opening series.
- Lol, what a stupid, meaningless quote from Mark Johnson...but he’s right, Daryl Watts is playing well.
"She's playing well. If she continues to do that, she's going to continue to move up the rankings."— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) October 12, 2021
Mark Johnson on #Badgers @DarylWatts19
Listen to Coach's full interview with @brian_posick on the Wisconsin Hockey Hour at 7 p.m. on @1310WIBA https://t.co/c8RMgVuVHq
- A couple of interesting stats on Army football ahead of the game on Saturday.
- Minnesota offensive lineman Curtis Dunlap enters the transfer portal.
- Wisconsin had the most dominant win of the week last weekend!
- Tickets for the Northwestern/Purdue game at Wrigley Field are preposterously priced for students. However, all other NU sporting events are FREE for full-time students so, like, deal with it if you really want to go? Also, NU students can apply for up to $600 a year in assistance for help paying for student activities. For comparison, Wisconsin student football tickets cost $209 for the season. Tickets for the Notre Dame game at Soldier Field were $54 for students.
- Is the 2021 Michigan football team different than all of the other Jim Harbaugh teams?
- Three takeaways from Maryland men’s basketball media day.