Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- The men’s soccer team is on a real heater right now, it’s best not to look directly at them or they might get spooked.
- The women’s soccer team is in the top-24, suck it No. 25 BYU, of the RPI but could probably use a couple more W’s here to feel confident about their NCAA Tournament at-large chances.
- It’s nice to have talented young players in the pipeline to replace the upperclassmen.
- After another dominant weekend, sweeping St. Cloud State 6-0 and 6-1, the Badgers are still No. 1 in the USCHO women’s hockey poll. They’ll have a stiffer challenge this weekend as they travel to Duluth to take on the Bulldogs.
Goalie Kennedy Blair was named WCHA Goalie of the Week as well. She saved all 19 shots in Saturday’s shutout against the Huskies and then allowed only one goal in 18 shots on Sunday.
- With Pitt losing their first match of the season over the weekend, the Badgers moved up one spot, to No. 3, in the latest AVCA Poll. Undefeated Texas is the unanimous No. 1 team in the country and Louisville, also undefeated, sits at No. 2.
- In honor of Wisconsin retiring Michael Finley’s No. 24, Jordan Davis decided to change his number this year. Please update your rosters accordingly as he is now No. 2. The article linked here on UWBadgers.com is good and shows what reverence in-state kids often have for Wisconsin athletics.
- Chancellor Becky Blank is leaving UW at the end of the academic year to take the president position at Northwestern. I always had somewhat negative thoughts about her tenure, but in talking to a couple of people that work for UW it sounds like she was well-liked among the staff and did an admirable job to keep the university afloat during COVID.
Today, I’m sharing some personal news:— Becky Blank (@BeckyBlank) October 11, 2021
I will leave @UWMadison at the end of the academic year to become the first female president in the history of @NorthwesternU.
Northwestern is a top-rated school that I have known and admired for years.https://t.co/TGr1Lnl2hm
- Illinois football is currently Going Through It.
- Indiana men’s basketball roster preview.
- The Gophers have lost another running back for the season as Trey Potts is out with an undisclosed injury. We hope he gets well soon.
- Michigan men’s basketball offseason recap.
- Northwestern football is looking for player progression, as opposed to wins, in the second half of the season.
- Iowa lands a 2023 men’s hoops commit that the Badgers were high on.
- There has been a lot of discourse online about Iowa being No. 2 and how they play, well, a boring, painful to watch, vice-like style of football. Should they care about aesthetics?
- Penn State sour grapes.