Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Nebraska).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- Paul Chryst had some more media availability on Thursday and we would never subject you to a second post about his press conferences so here are the main highlights of what he said. It’s almost all good injury news for the Badgers as both CB Faion Hicks and ILB Mike Maskalunas should be available for UW on Saturday.
Paul Chryst says CB Faion Hicks has practiced this week. It sounds as if he'll be able to go vs Michigan.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) September 30, 2021
#Badgers coach Paul Chryst, speaking on his weekly radio show, says Mike Maskalunas is set to return this week. Maskalunas, the No. 3 ILB and a key performer on special teams, did not play vs. Notre Dame.— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) September 30, 2021
Chryst also discussed young WR Chimere Dike who did not feature often during the game against Notre Dame, much to the chagrin of fans. Chryst says that they want to get him more involved so, I guess we’ll see what Dike’s snap count looks like after the Michigan game.
Paul Chryst says WR Chimere Dike is "too good of a player, and certainly any time you’ve got a good player you want to get them involved." Dike played 21 offensive snaps vs. Notre Dame after playing 51 vs. Penn State and 40 vs. Eastern Michigan. Chryst says the plays will come.— Jesse Temple (@jessetemple) September 30, 2021
- We, along with anybody who appreciates good football players, have been extremely high on Keeanu Benton and, it would seem, that the numbers prove that we were correct on him. He is a difference maker for UW.
Through three games, #Badgers NT Keeanu Benton has 70 pass rush snaps. He had 82 in seven games last season.— Colten Bartholomew (@CBartWSJ) September 29, 2021
UW has 10 sacks in three games and Benton has been credited with 0.5. UW had 11 sacks in seven games last year.
Having Benton on field is crucial for UW's defense.
- This is interesting news from former B5Q writer, current Journal Sentinel reporter and always our Tall Adult Son, Curt Hogg: former Badger point guard Trevon Hughes is taking the boys basketball head coaching job at Kettle Moraine.
I’m hearing from multiple different people that a former UW guard Trevon Hughes has been named varsity basketball coach at Kettle Moraine, if you’re interested in that sort of thing. #wisbb— Curt Hogg (@CyrtHogg) September 30, 2021
- The Big Ten released the television schedule for men’s hockey on Thursday and the Badgers are set to have, at minimum, 22 games available TV. It looks like UW will be on BTN four times and ESPNU and NBCSN once to go along with a number of games on Bally Sports Wisconsin.
The 2021-22 #B1GHockey television schedule is here!— Big Ten Hockey (@B1GHockey) September 30, 2021
At least 55 games to be televised featuring all seven programs
B1G+ will stream all other non-televised games played in @bigten arenas
Guide: https://t.co/tZPUvadp2N pic.twitter.com/OUOm2DJqUH
- The Badgers scored early to take a 1-0 lead over Penn State on Thursday night, but conceded twice, with the match winner coming in the 80th minute, to fall to the Nittany Lions. This was only the third time all season Wisconsin had given up more than one goal and they still haven’t given up more than two.
80' | Penn State scores to take the lead— Wisconsin Soccer (@BadgerWSoccer) October 1, 2021
Penn State 2#Badgers 1
- Early start for the women’s hockey team this weekend!
It's a great day for hockey!#Badgers @MerrimackWIH— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) October 1, 2021
⏰- 1 p.m. CT
- North Andover, Mass.
- https://t.co/u0oUpZO7Od pic.twitter.com/iO2ohP6dCb
- A nice preview of Michigan/Wisconsin from Maize N Brew.
- What will Michigan State and Tom Izzo do this season without a traditional post presence?
- Who will win in the Battle For The Right To Be Called NU?
- Top-ten Rutgers traveled to Minnesota and beat the Gophers 2-1 in women’s soccer.
- What is “The Standard” for Maryland football?
- Who are the five most important players for Illinois men’s basketball this year?
- Related: we will be starting our men’s basketball coverage either later today, or on Sunday depending on the mood of my children, so look forward to that!