Wisconsin Badgers men’s basketball head coach Greg Gard met with the media via Zoom on Tuesday and discussed a couple of different things including the NCAA Tournament in Indiana, Ben Carlson’s status and when the Penn State game might get rescheduled. Here are a couple of brief highlights from his availability.
- On the NCAA Tournament being put in an “Indiana bubble”: “It’s been a great city to go to. I know all the social aspects of it will be wiped off the slate but I do like the idea of trying to keep the teams as compressed as possible. We can’t replicate the NBA’s bubble because it’s just, that’s impossible. Nobody left that thing the whole time but to try to bunker down as much as possible, I guess is the best route and probably, I can’t think of a better place to put it than Indianapolis.”
- Gard mentioned that he thought it was a good idea to have the tournament in one place so teams didn’t have to take multiple flights around the country.
- As far as the postponed Penn State game from this past Sunday?
#Badgers head coach Greg Gard is saying that the Penn State game is being rescheduled "sooner rather than later" by the Big Ten.— Bucky’s 5th Quarter (@B5Q) January 5, 2021
However, it was announced on Wednesday that the Nittany Lions would be postponing their next two games as well so it’ll probably be “later rather than sooner” for the Badgers and Penn State.
Penn State men’s basketball has paused all team-related activities due to positive COVID-19 results.— Ben Jones (@Ben_Jones88) January 6, 2021
Due to the pause, the Nittany Lions’ home games against Michigan (Jan. 9) and Rutgers (Jan. 12) have been postponed.
- Gard didn’t have much information on injured freshman big man Ben Carlson outside of saying there is no timetable for his return and he hasn’t practiced in a bit.
#Badgers— Bucky’s 5th Quarter (@B5Q) January 5, 2021
Gard says that there isn't a timetable for freshman Ben Carlson's return from his "upper body injury."
“He’s working with our medical staff right now and working his way back to trying to get back on the floor,” Gard said.
- Most importantly, Gard talked fashion with us. It sounds like he’s pretty comfortable with the new relaxed dress code that has been going on with coaching staffs around the country this year.