Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- We will have much more about Jonathan Taylor’s historic day and excellent season later this week, but it is mandatory that we note how many freaking yards he ran for on Sunday to help the Colts make the playoffs.
Historic. pic.twitter.com/x55QTqR9ws— Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) January 4, 2021
- Continuing the trend from over the weekend when Jake Ferguson, Jack Sanborn and Faion Hicks announced they were returning to Madison for next season, another key piece will be running it back next year with the boys.
Let’s get it pic.twitter.com/uONxIkxGji— Kendric Pryor (@_KPryor3) January 3, 2021
Having Kenrdic Pryor back, and healthy, will be a big boost for Graham Mertz’s development.
- Speaking of happy football developments, we couldn’t be happier for former Cleveland Browns LT Joe Thomas now that his team has finally made the Playoffs for the first time in 18 years. Sad they couldn’t do it while Thomas was still playing, but we hope he is able to make an appearance at the game.
PLAYOFFS— Joe Thomas (@joethomas73) January 3, 2021
- It is pretty cool when Wisconsin greats offer to help out the current players and there are few players that Jalen Berger could get guidance from than Montee Ball.
I think I’ll go to a good amount of training camp practices next year. Gotta get that running back room going! @JalenBerger This off-season I can run you through my workout regiment that took me from an average back to a heisman finalist. Let’s get it. #OnWisconsin https://t.co/bGDs3dNg6H— Montee Ball (@MonteeBall28) January 2, 2021
- I don’t know why Sam Dekker ATTACKED Ben Brust on New Year’s Day but...well...he ain’t wrong.
Ben broke the school record for 3s wearing 12 lbs of uniform pic.twitter.com/5UIKPaolwq— Sam Dekker (@dekker) January 1, 2021
- The men’s college basketball NET rankings seem to have gone live on Monday morning and have the Badgers sitting at No. 11, which would make them the fourth highest ranked team in the Big Ten.
NET seems live https://t.co/JGBOFlyq1b pic.twitter.com/sXahC0MgaH— Bart T rvik (@totally_t_bomb) January 4, 2021
- The volleyball team is back in the gym and looking to win one more match than they did last year.
Good first day. Felt great being back in the gym with a match on the calendar that is less than three weeks away. Next time we’ll get @NicoleShanny07 in the pic! https://t.co/JbggvWwnT3— Kelly Sheffield (@KellyPSheffield) January 3, 2021
- The captain scored the only goal of the game and led the Badgers to a sweep on Sunday over Minnesota State.
Hear what captain @BrettePettet had to say after the #Badgers win today! pic.twitter.com/MqxKTO2K3i— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) January 3, 2021
- Nebraska’s women’s hoops team squeaked by Rutgers over the weekend, while the men lost a close one to Michigan State.
- ICYMI, the Badgers/Nittany Lions men’s basketball game on Sunday was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns in PSU’s program. They’ll be looking to reschedule ASAP.
- Former Purdue Boilermakers legend Drew Brees is reportedly hanging ‘em up after this season.
- Northwestern being ranked in men’s hoops was a fun story but, uh, after getting destroyed by Michigan (and previously Iowa) we might not see them in the polls again this week.
- 5-star 2022 CB commits to Ohio State. ::insert my shocked face here::
- Also, if you missed the Playoff semifinals...Ohio State put it on Dabo and the boys from Clemson to advance to the title game.
- Michigan smoked Northwestern in men’s hoops and Franz Wagner and Hunter Dickinson are continuing to be a problem for the rest of the Big Ten.
- Rutgers and Iowa played one of the best games of the season in men’s hoops over the weekend. Even though the Scarlet Knights, they still have all of their goals ahead of them.
- It is nice to see college football head coaches, like Maryland’s Mike Locksley, take mental health seriously.
- After getting blown out by the Badgers, Minnesota bounced back and blew out Ohio State in men’s hoops.
- If Indiana wasn’t representing the Big Ten in their bowl...does that mean that the conference is still undefeated?
- If you’re just now starting to get into college hoops this year, here is a great overview (part one of two) of the national landscape, about halfway through the year, in men’s hoops from The Only Colors.