Good afternoon! This is going to be a weekly(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Former Wisconsin Badgers men’s hockey player Mick Messner is headed to Merrimack to finish off his college career.
- I found this video extremely interesting. I never played football competitively at any level, so I don’t know what practices used to be like...but I would imagine they were a lot more hard hitting than this.
Wisconsin's Low Impact Tackling Drill pic.twitter.com/LezWHD9xqF— Chris Haddad (@chrisvIQtory) July 20, 2020
- I would imagine that the Wisconsin athletic department will be asking you for a donation sooner rather than later the way things are going.
Should it get to that point, a full cancellation of the football season could cost the #Badgers more than $100 million in revenue. Barry Alvarez says UW will put health and safety first.https://t.co/KiIr2msZrQ— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) July 21, 2020
UW had a loyal group of booster in the Mendota Gridiron Club who lead fundraising in good times and bad, with no questions asked. They disbanded it. One reason given was "they'd always have the TV money." https://t.co/swvN0ZlJm6 pic.twitter.com/fGObZTQEnv— EricTheRed (@RealEricTheRed) July 24, 2020
- This is a pretty good self burn, Ifeadi, pretty good indeed.
People keep asking me “hey ifeadi is it going to be weird not playing with fans?” I tell these suckas clearly you’ve never watched an 11am Northwestern game! I was born to do this— Ifeadi The Storyteller (@IfeadiOdenigbo) July 22, 2020
- Has Lindsey Graham watched one second of college football in the last, oh I don’t know, 100 years?
- Now THIS would be a pretty fun, albeit cold, idea!
Mark Murphy says they plan to apply fro Lambeau Field to host the Big Ten Championship game between 2023-2030.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) July 23, 2020
- Aleem Ford looks ready to start the season tomorrow. I would love to see him attack the basket like this in a game, btw.
- Ours, Dani. T.J. is all of ours.
- Glad to see that Southern Illinois was able to find a replacement for their Wisconsin game that was cancelled.
BREAKING NEWS | #Salukis will open the 2020 season at Kansas on Aug. 29, as NCAA grants “Week Zero” waiver. Game replaces Wisconsin on SIU’s schedule and will earn $300,000 payout. https://t.co/cPvDtTv93F pic.twitter.com/ytGbOgIK4v— Saluki Football (@SIU_Football) July 25, 2020
“Some yards are better than no yards” -John Madden pic.twitter.com/D0H1qo0GXw— Alec Ingold (@AI_XLV) July 25, 2020
- Brevin Pritzl is on his way to Serbia to start his professional career with KK Tamis. We wish Pritzl well overseas!
From Wisconsin to Serbia, @BrevinPritzl (Brevin Priztl) is headed to @kktamis to begin his career! Priztl, the decorated @BadgerMBB player, has his best days ahead of him. #rookie pic.twitter.com/rAZKvouAKW— GoEmpire Group (@GoEmpireGroup) July 26, 2020
- After spending last season in Russia, Sam Dekker will be headed to Ankara, Turkey for the upcoming year. Türk Telekom Basketbol Kulübü is the former home of Greg Stiemsma and currently has former NCAA players Nick Johnson (Arizona), Tyler Ennis (Syracuse) and Kyle Wiltjer (Gonzaga) on the roster.
- A 2022 4-star WR commits to Penn State.
- If Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez wins, well, any award this year I will tweet one (1) nice thing about him.
- Could Northwestern G Pat Spencer get drafted? Like, by the army? I guess if it came down to it he co...oh...my God, you were talking about the NBA Draft?
- Ohio State nabbed their best basketball recruit since D’Angelo Russell.
- Michigan State and Rutgers have shut done football workouts due to COVID-19. Not great Bob dot gif!
- Cassius Winston has not nice things to say about Michigan! “At the end of my decision, it was Michigan and Michigan State, and Michigan was kind of just like a little too, like, soft for me.”
- A trio of Illinois football players will not be returning to the program this year.
- Minnesota ran for a bunch of yards against Nebraska? Big deal, so did everyone. (This is a good breakdown of zone blocking schemes and how they are successful, though)