Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly (or more often since we are in Uncertain Times and there aren’t actual sports going on) post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
Do you even lift, bro?
- If you’ve ever seen a picture of me you know that no, no I do not lift, bro, however I’ve been told by reputable sources that 2022 4-star S commit Braelon Allen’s (Fond du Lac) exploits in the weight room recently have been beyond impressive.
385 hang clean. New record ⚪️ pic.twitter.com/mgH3CrhQIJ— Braelon Allen (@BraelonAllen) July 20, 2020
530 squat. Another record ⚪️ pic.twitter.com/1h4tbk8Ywc— Braelon Allen (@BraelonAllen) July 22, 2020
Pretty sure I’ve never lifted that much weight in my life.
- Now here’s an activity, actually two, that I can get behind! Fishing and dad’s roasting their children, what a combo! 2021 3-star LB Jake Chaney touched a fish with his bare hands and as the law of the ocean states, he is now a real man. Congratulations, Jake!
- One of the members of the in-state Super 6 for the 2022 class, 4-star WR/TE Jerry Cross (Milwaukee), announced that he will be committing on Tuesday evening.
I will be committing on Tuesday at 6:00✍— JC 11 . (@Jerrycross04) July 22, 2020
You may remember that Cross announced he was going to commit earlier, uh, this week before deciding against it. The common thought is that this is down to Penn State and Wisconsin with the Nittany Lions in the lead. All three Crystal Balls on 247Sports, including Evan Flood’s, are for PSU but there are rumblings that this recruitment might not be over once a commitment is announced on Tuesday.
Get the hell outta here, UCLA
- 2021 3-star QB Deacon Hill (Santa Barbara, Calif.) has been a vocal leader on Twitter in recruiting other kids to Wisconsin and has been Wisconsin’s only quarterback in the class for a long time. Earlier this week he receive a scholarship offer from UCLA though.
UCLA is where all of his older sisters went and is his “hometown” school. It’s a big deal offer for him and had some in the Badgers recruiting world concerned. However, just over 12 hours Hill was on the Twitter machine shouting out his “boyz.” Love to see it. I am not concerned about Hill going to UCLA, but it is reassuring to see him still gassing his guys up.
Quite frankly, Braelon Allen’s tweet says it all.
— Braelon Allen (@BraelonAllen) July 21, 2020
In-state prospect heading west
- 2021 3-star OL Marcus Mbow (Milwaukee) out of Wauwatosa East was the top remaining uncommitted prospect from Wisconsin until he announced that he’d be heading to Arizona State earlier this week.
In any other year, the Badgers probably would’ve been in on Mbow, but in the 2021 class UW already has two committed OT that are ranked higher than him with the possibility of one more HUGE OT (5-star Nolan Rucci) joining them. In fact, the Badgers didn’t even offer Mbow. He joins Garrett Gillette (Mukwanago), a 2021 3-star TE, in heading to Tempe.
Speaking of Arizona State
- 2021 3-star CB Robert Regan (Orange, Calif.) chose Arizona State over Wisconsin on Monday. Regan was long thought to be a Wisconsin lean, and was involved in the class group text, but recently things shifted to ASU. The Badgers did want to pair Regan with 3-star CB Ricardo Hallman (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.), but that is no longer in the cards.
Congrats dawg. Wish things were different but we still gotchu over here at Wisco. No hard feelings just doing what’s best. The boys feel the same https://t.co/5ivn27D4WS— TJ Bollers (@tj35ballin) July 20, 2020
I think it is pretty cool that other Wisconsin commits were still happy for Regan even though he didn’t choose to join them in Madison.