Grading the NFL Draft immediately after it is over is a fool’s errand. The players have not even traveled to the new city they will be playing in nor have they participated in one single offseason drill and people want to grade their careers already.
Now, just because they are silly, and often wrong, doesn’t mean they aren’t extremely fun to look over and then shout about! I love the NFL Draft because I consider it to be more college football than pro and occasionally I get to sound smart because I’ve watched Mountain West games early Sunday morning and know that the QB from Hawaii that the Titans drafted is a white guy with dreadlocks.
Anyway, let’s see what people online thought about the four Badgers who were drafted this past weekend! Up next is wideout Quintez Cephus.
- Yahoo! Sports gave the Lions a B- and didn’t mention Cephus at all in their write up.
- SB Nation gave the Lions a B and didn’t mention Cephus at all in their write up.
- Walter Football gave Cephus a D. “Speaking of receivers who can’t separate, Quintez Cephus is not a player I had mocked in most of my updates. I think I had him undrafted most of April. He was productive at Wisconsin, but he doesn’t look like an NFL player to me.”
- CBS Sports gave Cephus a B+. “Cephus is a battler in traffic and plays faster than his timed speed. Thick body. Could even be a big slot in the NFL. Not a separator. Quality depth for Lions at WR.”
- Pro Football Focus gave the Lions an A but didn’t mention Cephus in their write up.
- SI’s AllLions site gave Cephus a C. “At the receiver position, I like speed. The Lions are in desperate need of players who can separate. Unfortunately, that is not Cephus. However, there is a reason Cephus was a fifth-round selection. He does all the little things very well. Whether it be blocking, making catches in traffic, beating press coverage or being fearless going over the middle, the redshirt junior embraces the nuance and physicality of the game. Much like Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones, Cephus is somewhat a deep threat because of his body control and strong hands.”