We were unable to send anyone to Paul Chryst’s opening press conference on Monday, but thankfully our former fearless leader Jake was there and snapped a picture of the spring roster and sent it our way. What a guy!
There were a handful of notes that you may find interesting, including the numbers that early enrollee freshmen selected, other number changes and a small collection of position changes.
Freshman early enrollees
- Dylan Barrett, No. 65, OL, 6-foot-5, 303 pounds
- Chimere Dike, No. 13, WR, 6-foot-1, 186 pounds
- Nick Herbig, No. 19, OLB, 6-foot-2, 216 pounds
- Cade McDonald, No. 96, DE, 6-foot-6, 254 pounds
- Jack Nelson, No. 79, OL, 6-foot-7, 283 pounds
- Jordan Turner, No. 54, ILB, 6-foot-1, 223 pounds
- Preston Zachman, No. 43, ILB, 6-foot-1, 213 pounds
Other roster additions
Two new special teamers are on the spring roster as well. Transfer P Andy Vujnovich, who will wear No. 38, has two years of eligibility remaining after coming to Madison from D-III Dubuque. Redshirt freshman K Joe Stoll, who will wear No. 27, is also on the roster now as well after coming to Madison from Wooster, Ohio last year.
Cormac Sampson is on the move yet again. After filling in admirably as a blocking TE last season due to myriad injuries in the tight end room, Sampson is back in the trenches on the OL this spring.
Cormac Sampson played tight end for the #Badgers last season as injuries ravaged the spot, but he's back with the OL during spring practices. Possible center candidate, as he was learning that role last year before the switch to TE.— Colten Bartholomew (@CBartWSJ) March 9, 2020
Sampson is now No. 62, after being No. 85 last year as a TE, his fourth number change in his career for the Badgers.
Redshirt freshman Gio Paez, who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 303 pounds, is moving from DE to NT. The Badgers did not take a NT during this past recruiting cycle and both Keeanu Benton and Bryson Williams will miss the spring practice period with injuries, so Paez is going to get all of the reps he can handle.
Redshirt sophomore Jacob Heyroth (remains No. 22) moves from ILB to RB.
- CB Donte Burton (No. 4 from No. 17)
- WR Danny Davis III (No. 7 from No. 6)
- WR Stephan Bracey (No. 10 from No. 11)
- S John Torchio (No. 15 from No. 19)
- WR Jordan DiBenedetto (No. 31 from No. 14)
- WR Mike Gregoire (No. 39 from No. 13)
- OL Logan O’Brien (No. 58 from No. 62)
- LS Josh Bernhagen (No. 62 from No. 52)
- OL Cormac Sampson (No. 62 from No. 85)
- OL Andrew Lyons (No. 63 from No. 59)
- DE Michael Balistreri (No. 75 from No. 57)
- TE Hayden Rucci (No. 87 from No. 43)