Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
- 2020 C Steven Crowl (Eagan, Minn.) is now the all-time leading scorer in Eastview High School’s history. He dropped 25 points on Eagan in a win.
Congrats to Steven Crowl who tonight passed @jonwagner04 as the All-Time Leading Scorer in School History! So many talented players over the years, but Jon’s record had stood since 1999.....until tonight! pic.twitter.com/I0np78yBzK— Eastview Athletics (@EVHSAthletics) February 1, 2020
Earlier last week, Crowl had 26 points in a win over Shakopee which moved Eastview into a tie with them in first place in the conference. “We were just more aggressive — all of us just attacking the rim,” Crowl said. “[Shakopee’s] a good team, their guards can shoot it and [Charlie] Katona is always a factor. I just thought we attacked them right back and we gave more effort.”
- 2020 big man Ben Carlson had 24 points and 28 rebounds (17 offensive!!!) in East Ridge’s win over White Bear Lake. Here are two of those 24 points via vicious dunk.
- 2020 wing Johnny Davis (La Crosse) had a monster double-double in Central’s loss to Minnehaha (Minn.) Academy over the weekend. Davis poured in 42 points and added 10 rebounds as well. Look at the violent way he attacks the basket. What a gem he is!
Johnny Davis not playing around folks. 14th point on transition slam pic.twitter.com/85PGV01GFO— Wisconsin Hoopz (@hoopz_wisconsin) February 2, 2020
He was efficient in the game too! Look at those shooting numbers and also four assists! He can do it all.
#Badgers 2020 basketball signee Johnny Davis with a game-High 42 points on 14-of-29 shooting, 14-of-20 from free throw line. Also had 10 rebounds and four assists.— Jake Kocorowski (@JakeKoco) February 2, 2020
“Davis made mid-range jump shots, finished through contact in the lane and went to the foul line 20 times in the contest,” notes Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook’s Mark Miller. Minnehaha Academy features both Jalen Suggs (heading to Gonzaga), a top-10 player in 2020 and 7-foot center Chet Holmgren, a top-five player in 2021.
- 2020 wing, and twin brother of Johnny, Jordan Davis (La Crosse) also had a good game for Central against Minnehaha.
FINAL: La Crosse Central 64 Minnehaha Academy 73— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) February 2, 2020
Johnny Davis 42 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists
Jalen Suggs 28 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists
Chet Holmgren 18 points, 8 rebounds
Jordan Davis 11 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds#Badgers #wisbb
“Jordan’s defense, size, strength and ability to score are big assets for coach Todd Fergot. He also provides a calming influence to the team when things get a little out of control,” said Miller, in the same article linked above.
Badgers recruiting targets
- 2022 PF Maximus Nelson (Appleton) of Appleton North was in town to watch the Badgers beat Michigan State on Saturday. The 6-foot-8 sophomore doesn’t have any offers yet, but Wisconsin is obviously well aware of him and will be keeping tabs on him throughout the next year.
Football commits playing basketball with awesome socks
- 2020 4-star LB Kaden Johnson has Wisconsin shoes AND socks that he has worn during games this year. I love him dearly.
HE LOVES US TOO!