Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Sorry that I haven’t been as good about posting these over the past week, but we just started using the same app the DNC uses to tabulate votes in the Iowa caucuses. #topical
- With that out of the way let’s get back to some of the Wisconsin news you may have missed from over the weekend!
- The good people of Milwaukee will be subjected to Wisconsin men’s hockey for the next three years at a brand new holiday tournament that will be taking place at Fiserv Forum.
The #Badgers have signed on for the first three years of a holiday men's hockey tournament at Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee starting next season. The details as I know them so far are here:https://t.co/6UcmxDS5gE— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) January 31, 2020
- The Notre Dame game at Lambeau Field this fall will be at night! Keep in mind this is a Badgers road game technically, so be on your best behavior when tailgating.
- A kind of awkward exchange between two Badger football legends! Stars, they’re just like us!
- A lot of former players came out of the woodwork to support the Badgers, and head coach Greg Gard, after their win against Michigan State on Saturday.
Anyone can lead a team when it’s easy. You find out a lot about a leader when things are hard. Can’t give Coach Gard enough credit for constantly battling through what he’s had to deal with this year. And very proud of @BadgerMBB for rallying together today. #OnWisconsin— Hippo Kaminsky III (@FSKPart3) February 1, 2020
Big win. Love it. Boys deserve some beers after that one. After a long week, they showed a lot of character.— Sam Dekker (@dekker) February 1, 2020
This @BadgerMBB coaching staff has been through more adversity than any in the country this year. Coach Gard is a heck of a coach and as quality of a person as there is, particularly in the slimy business of college sports. I’m proud as hell that he’s the coach of my alma mater.— Brett Valentyn (@BValentyn15) February 2, 2020
I like to think of Graham Mertz as quarterback of the entire athletic department.
Okay now... @BadgerMBB I see you!!!! Just gritty!!!!! Love it.— Graham Mertz (@GrahamMertz5) February 1, 2020
- Weird that both of Alex Hornibrook’s former teams made this list.
Most improved passing offenses from 2018 to 2019 (QB Rating)— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) February 1, 2020
+113 Louisville (from #122 to #9)
+47 Oregon State
+43 Wake Forest
+35 Kansas State
- Daryl Watts is an unstoppable scoring machine.
With the assist, Daryl Watts is the Badger to record 60 points in a season since @Bdecker14, @HilaryKnight and @bammerman20 all did so during the 2011-12 season!#Badgers || #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/j2zRUNDSi2— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) February 1, 2020
So was the entire women’s hockey team over the weekend tbqh. They beat St. Cloud State 5-0 on Saturday afternoon and 11-1 (!!!) on Sunday.
It may come as no surprise to you, after reading those scorelines, that the Badgers remained the No. 1 team in the country.
I don't know what the Twitter equivalent of a long, low whistle is, but just imagine I'm doing in. pic.twitter.com/zFVHflHwzw— Nicole Haase (@NicoleHaase) February 3, 2020
- As far as I know, and Google wasn’t any help here, the men’s hockey team only played for this one highlight over the weekend. Really weird.
- Joe Pavelski has had an amazing career in the NHL. Maybe he could coach the men’s team next year?
- So many Wisconsin rushing yards in one picture.
- Addition by subtraction gonna lead the Badgers to the Sweet 16 this year or nah?
D’Mitrik Trice said today the camaraderie between players, as well as players & coaches, is at an all-time high. Said they played together as a team & for one another.— Zach Heilprin (@ZachHeilprin) February 4, 2020
“That was the biggest thing we’ve taken away from last week, not so much what we lost but what we gained.”
- Impressive win on the mat for the wrestling lads.
- The Badgers went on the road and beat Illinois and Sydney Hilliard had a huge week to earn conference honors.
B1G basketball scoreboard from over the weekend (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
Indiana 59 - Ohio State 68
No. 23 Rutgers 63 - Michigan 69
No. 24 Penn State 76 - Nebraska 64
Purdue 61 - Northwestern 58
No. 19 Illinois 65 - No. 18 Iowa 72