Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- The Kohl Center was pretty live all weekend, featuring two men’s hockey games on Friday and Saturday and the Fill the Bowl women’s hockey game on Sunday. On Friday, the Crease Creatures got onesies, beautifully modeled by Bucci Mane here.
Wisconsin vs. Penn State— Bucci Mane (@Buccigross) February 13, 2020
Friday PAJAMA PARTY: Fans are encouraged to wear pajamas to Kohl Center. Students are encouraged to arrive early to receive Wisconsin Hockey Onesie, available while supplies last. Can I bring Pooh? He drinks @WhiteClaw Please wear to Nitty Gritty. pic.twitter.com/l14Sj8q628
The last place Badgers stunned the first place Penn State Nittany Lions on Friday night, 4-3, thanks to a Dylan Holloway goal with just over a minute left in the third period.
Holloway scored another goal with one minute left in the game on Saturday night, but it wasn’t enough as the Badgers fell 3-2 against the No. 9 team in the nation. Here is the goal from Friday night.
The women’s hockey team got bodied by Ohio State on Saturday afternoon, 3-1, thanks to a five-minute boarding major to Abby Roque that resulted in three power play goals for the Buckeyes.
Final: Ohio State spoils the #Badgers' senior day for the second straight season, winning 3-1 at LaBahn, ending UW's home unbeaten streak at 26 games.— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) February 15, 2020
Sunday afternoon was the Fill the Bowl game for the Badgers, played at the Kohl Center in front of 14,361 fans (see header picture). Roque made up for her penalties in the first game and tied the game at one in the third period and sent the game to overtime. After a scoreless first OT period, Britta Curl scored in 3-on-3 double OT and gave the Badgers the extra point in the conference standings.
Curl earns the final WCHA point in double OT! pic.twitter.com/33NS4fNlXF— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) February 16, 2020
Unrelated to the play on the ice, but Wyatt Kalynuk’s niece is adorable.
- We tweeted about it on Friday, but you probably aren’t going to get a ticket to the Notre Dame game at Lambeau Field unless you are planning on ponying up a whole bunch of dough. I mean, I’m still going to try and get tickets but if I have to watch it on TV at The Stadium View, so be it.
Let the countdown to Lambeau begin!— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) February 14, 2020
Ticket details in the story below https://t.co/N9JjGd3r2m
- Badgers track and field stars are already racking up individual awards.
— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) February 12, 2020
Alicia Monson and Oliver Hoare are this weeks Big Ten Track Athletes of the Week after the pair’s phenomenal performances at last Saturday’s Millrose Games! pic.twitter.com/uUf7Gm3aID
— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) February 16, 2020
Schaefer wins the Women’s Shot Put with a throw of 56-4 3/4 at the Music City Challenge pic.twitter.com/tXsmZpnYVe
- The Pistons suck. They should call up Khalil Iverson.
- Apparently Nebraska is keen on setting up a meeting with former Badger Kobe King.
- Tired: Fire Greg Gard because his team isn’t consistent.
Wired: Fire Greg Gard because he might be a witch.
#Badgers coach Greg Gard: Brevin Pritzl didn’t miss a shot for two days. He even made 12 threes yesterday in our possessions . From everywhere. Brad couldn’t make a shot for two days. They changed spirits today.— Jeff Potrykus (@jaypo1961) February 15, 2020
- Congratulations to JJ Watt and Kealia Ohai on getting married over the weekend. I hope it was an open bar or else the marriage isn’t officially recognized in the state of Wisconsin.
- Hopefully Kelly Sheffield is planning on making some offers to some BBQ while he’s in Kansas City.
- Look at how happy Nigel Hayes is! You love to see it!! His team, BC Zalgris, won the King Mindaugas Cup in Lithuania.
My baby boy is a bonafide Champion!! pic.twitter.com/BgWed0LA0a— TALAYA DAVIS (@TALAYADAVIS) February 16, 2020
- Badger wrestling took down Michigan on Sunday evening.
Man, Seth Gross could win a national title this year. Dude is good.
VICTORY IS OURS pic.twitter.com/Pc2H0teIUZ— Wisconsin Wrestling (@BadgerWrestling) February 16, 2020
- Imani Lewis had 17 points and 12 boards, her 16th career double-double which is good for tenth on the Badgers all-time list. The team...did not do as well.
- The softball team split their two series in the B1G/ACC Challenge over the weekend beating Louisville and No. 25 UNC once each. The last game of the weekend saw 1B Kayla Konwent start the game with a solo homer in the first inning and then end the game with a grand slam in the sixth inning to lead the Badgers to an 8-3 win over the Tar Heels.
Kayla Konwent hit ✌️ home runs today, including a grand slam, in @BadgerSoftball's 8-3 upset win over No. 25 UNC.— Softball America (@SoftbalAmerica) February 17, 2020
Konwent is the No. 9️⃣ player in SA's 2020 College Top 100.https://t.co/xXxjzOs3vb pic.twitter.com/W85XpYvLe2