Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- Sorry for the lack of posts today, there isn’t a whole lot going on in the Badgersphere with only one men’s basketball game this week and most of the other teams off until the weekend as well.
- Here are some updates you may have missed from the past few days however.
- These USA vs. Canada hockey games have been really fun for the fans and the players. It also nice to see so many former Badgers playing.
- Speaking of women’s hockey, this Sunday is the annual “Fill the Bowl” game and the Badgers are trying to break some records. Get a ticket and go see the consistently best team on campus do its thing.
- We will have more NFL Draft coverage as it draws nearer, but there are some rumblings that Zack Baun could be taken pretty high this year.
Why do one thing when you can do many? ♂️ https://t.co/6B1S62GRR9— Zack Baun (@zackbizzaun) February 10, 2020
- Abby Laszewski’s dad has all the info you need to know about her winning a weekly B1G honor.
Big Ten Women’s Basketball Weekly Honor Roll-— Jay Laszewski (@trailingdad) February 10, 2020
Abby Laszewski, Sr., F, WIS: Averaged 25.5 ppg. and 7.0 rpg. with a .643 field-goal percentage last week, registering career-high scoring totals in consecutive games (25 vs. Minnesota, 26 at Ohio State)
- I’m sure you all saw this on Twitter earlier this week, but it is still hilarious.
Apparently it was at the Target right by Minnesota’s campus too. Brutal.
We've opened up a full investigation into this matter. https://t.co/kGIlNTGUj7— UW-Madison Police (@UWMadisonPolice) February 11, 2020
- The softball team continues their season with the ACC/B1G Challenge in Chapel Hill, N.C. this weekend against UNC and Louisville. They are off to a 4-1 start and will be hoping to keep their four-game winning streak going.
Kaitlyn Menz, Wisconsin: 0.00 earned run average— Wisconsin Softball (@BadgerSoftball) February 12, 2020
"No other pitcher threw more innings without allowing an earned run."
There's no one else like you, @Kaitlyn_Menz #Badgers » #OnWisconsin https://t.co/hEsWxxXDKE
- Some quick news from around the B1G: MSU really screwed up their football coaching search in hilarious, embarrassing fashion. Apparently Dantonio said he wanted to coach one more season and then retire and then the athletic department started a search committee and Dantonio got pissed and quit.
If that report about MSU is true it’s a stunning revelation that should lead to the removal of every key decision maker involved. It’s a pathetic lack of awareness from Beekman and team and an incredible act of pettiness from Dantonio.— Austin (@ACSmith06) February 11, 2020
In short, an embarrassment.
But, now they’ve got a new coach! And look at that, it’s former Wisconsin Badgers player Mel Tucker!
Coach Tucker: "Together, we will be relentless to create an integrity-filled and winning culture for our staff, coaches and student-athletes in everything we do – on and off the field."— Michigan State Football (@MSU_Football) February 12, 2020
Complete release from https://t.co/zmbxUkdNs2: https://t.co/9GSulZdg5K
- Star Illinois guard Ayo Dosunmu was injured on the last play of their one-point loss to Michigan State on Tuesday night. There has been no update on his status, but we hope it is way less severe than it looked.
- Penn State stomped Purdue at Mackey Arena and might be ranked in the top-10 next week. What a time to be alive.