Recruiting is the lifeblood of any major college athletics team, but following it closely as a fan can sometimes be difficult and can often be time consuming. We’ll try and condense all the recruiting news you can use into this bi-weekly post. It’ll include updates on current commits, including stats from their high school games, as well as news on players the Badgers are still pursuing. Let’s get down to business!
- 2022 DE Isaac Hamm (Sun Prairie) of Sun Prairie High School received an offer from the Badgers earlier this week. Potentially a distant cousin of mine, Hamm is a 6-foot-5 and 260 pound strong-side defensive end that has offers from Wisconsin and also Iowa. According to Rivals, Central Michigan, Michigan State and North Dakota State are also showing interest.
In his sophomore season, Hamm racked up 37 tackles (14 TFL), four sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception while being named a first-team All-Big Eight selection. Hamm missed three games and was still able to make the first-team. Imagine what he could do in a full season!
Hamm looks like a player who has a bright future ahead of him and, depending on how much more he grows, could develop into a prototypical 3-4 DE.
- 2021 3-star (by both Rivals and 247, but no 247 Composite ranking yet) CB Dyson McCutcheon (La Puente, Calif.) of Bishop Amat High School earned a Wisconsin scholarship this week. Southern Cal is considered to be in the lead for McCutcheon but he also has offers from Arizona, Boise State, BYU, Duke, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Washington State and a handful of others.
Blessed to receive my first Big 10 offer from the University of Wisconsin ⚪️ Thank you @jimleonhard. @prowaytraining @CoachHagerty @GregBiggins @adamgorney @BrandonHuffman @SWiltfong247 pic.twitter.com/it0zGi57p5— NINE (@DysonMccutcheon) January 29, 2020
McCutcheon is a 5-foot-11 and 165 pound cornerback whose highlight video shows a player that has a willingness to step up and hit someone and also is a talented return man.
- 2022 4-star (247 Sports only) ATH Gavin Sawchuk (Littleton, Colo.) of Valor Christian High School has an offer from Wisconsin as of this week. Sawchuk has played both running back and wide receiver for Valor Christian. He also has offers from Oregon, who is considered the favorite right now, Arizona State, Colorado, Colorado State, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Southern Cal, Utah and Washington.
Blessed to say I have received an offer to play football at The University of Wisconsin. Huge thanks to Coach Chryst, @CoachAprilUW & the rest of the staff for this opportunity. Thanks to the coaching staff at Valor, #OnWisconsin #weaponx @GoValorFootball @valorsportsnet pic.twitter.com/1u87pJ74ZP— Gavin Sawchuk (@G28football) January 31, 2020
The 5-foot-11 and 175 pound athlete had 1,786 rushing yards on 197 carries (9.1 ypc) and 24 touchdowns. He also had 143 receiving yards on the season. The third highlight in this video is Sawchuk taking a screen pass into the endzone and it made me shout out loud while I watched it. I’m pretty sure I’ll be devastated if this kid doesn’t choose the Badgers.
- 2022 OLB Gabe Powers (Marysville, Ohio) of Marysville High School is the most recent player to get an offer from the Badgers. In-state Ohio State is considered the favorite but Powers also has offers from Boston College, Colorado, Florida State, Iowa State, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Penn State and Tennessee among others.
Blessed to receive an offer from the University of Wisconsin pic.twitter.com/kpTFm9yMKR— Gabe_powers21 (@GabePowers21) January 31, 2020
Powers is a 6-foot-4 and 215 pound outside linebacker who has great speed and is able to get into the backfield before a play really develops. He is like a heat-seeking missile once the ball is snapped and would probably be a great OLB in Wisconsin’s 3-4 system.
Recruiting battles lost
- 2021 3-star TE Jameson Geers (New Lenox, Ill.), who was a top target for the Badgers in the upcoming class, has verbally committed to Minnesota.