Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- The East-West Shrine Bowl, a postseason college football all-star game, has been announcing the rosters for their contest and a pair of Badgers made the list. This will be a good spot for QB Jack Coan and DE Isaiahh Loudermilk to showcase their skills for NFL teams or potential transfer destinations since everyone gets a free year of eligibility this year.
- Speaking of postseason awards, junior TE Jake Ferguson was named a semifinalist for the Mackey Award, given annually to the best tight end in the nation. In four games this year, Ferguson has 23 catches for 235 yards and four scores.
- You love to see the Badgers crashing the boards, which will help them win a couple extra games this year.
- Wisconsin volleyball is one of the best programs in the country and they recruit like one. Incoming freshman Lauren Jardine won multiple awards including Utah’s Ms. Volleyball award for 2020.
If you weren't already excited about our incoming freshman, here are some fun additional accolades for @LaurenJardine10!— Wisconsin Volleyball (@BadgerVB) December 7, 2020
⭐️2020 Valley Player of the Year ➡️ https://t.co/yhhcUGc9YR
⭐️2020 Ms. Volleyball Award ⬇️https://t.co/YSl4D9uIob
- The No. 3 Iowa Hawkeyes looked impressive in their B1G/ACC Challenge win over No. 16 UNC on Tuesday night.
- Penn State looked even more impressive, pounding No. 15 Va. Tech, in their B1G/ACC Challenge contest.
- Purdue, the only Big Ten team to lose on Tuesday night, blew a 20-point second half lead to Miami (Fla.).
- The Boilermakers cancelled football practice on Tuesday while waiting for COVID-19 testing results.
- Are...are the Northwestern Wildcats the class of the Big Ten West?
- Ohio State beat Notre Dame following a double-digit comeback.
- The Game was canceled. Everyone had thoughts on it, including our very own Sam Dekker!
Ok, let's go check the OSU message boards, HELL YEAH WE ARE COOKING WITH GAS FOR LUNCH TODAY pic.twitter.com/yufZ4EOmQa— Alex Kirshner (@alex_kirshner) December 8, 2020
- Will Jim Harbaugh still be the coach for Michigan next year? Well,,,we don’t know yet.
- Ron Harper, Jr. had a monster game for Rutgers who held off Syracuse on Tuesday night.
- The Illini roughed up the Duke Blue Devils.
- With their rival Purdue cancelling practice on Tuesday, the Hoosiers weren’t going to be outdone and ALSO paused team activities. Indiana also remained at No. 12 in the new CFP and they are, rightfully, not happy about it.
- In a top-five matchup, the Gophers beat the Wolverines on the ice in men’s hockey on Tuesday.
- Continuing the trend of things being canceled/postponed, the much anticipate Hauser Bowl between Michigan State and Virginia was called off for Wednesday night.