Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- You don’t become the best setter in the country by accident, folks.
Sunday night at 7:30, heavy snow coming down outside, just rolled into town, and this kid has been in here, alone, quietly doing work for a long while now. Great players become great because of the work they put in - usually behind the scenes. @sydhil_ pic.twitter.com/MzutZ6UfwW— Kelly Sheffield (@KellyPSheffield) December 28, 2020
- Jonathan Taylor is really turning it on in the second half of the season. You love to see it.
With 2 rushing touchdowns in the first half against the Steelers, Jonathan Taylor has 10 scrimmage touchdowns this season...— NFL Research (@NFLResearch) December 27, 2020
He is the first Colts rookie running back to have 1,100+ scrimmage yards and 10+ scrimmage TD since Hall of Famer Edgerrin James in 1999#Colts
- Former Badgers forward Derek Stepan is on the move, for a 2021 second round pick, and will be joining the Ottawa Senators this season.
“Derek’s acquisition provides us with important stability at centre heading into the season,” said Senators general manager Pierre Dorion. “He plays a 200-foot game and has proven to be a reliable special teams’ player throughout his career. His addition to our lineup will also represent a valuable leadership presence within our group.”
- I know we’ve been watching all of the games so WE already know this, but the men’s hoops team has been playing really well this year.
Teams who have most outperformed preseason expectations after one month:— Evan Miyakawa (@evanmiya) December 26, 2020
1 Wisconsin (10th to 3rd in BPR)
2 Colorado (50th to 5th)
3 Clemson (64th to 18th)
4 NC State (41st to 7th)
5 San Diego St (46th to 14th)
6 Ole Miss (58th to 20th)
7 Houston (34th to 9th) pic.twitter.com/aLKcxOfitt
- Brevin Pritzl is FILLING it up overseas.
- While Wonder Woman 1984 isn’t getting the best reviews online, this is great work by the Badgers social media team.
- Teams USA and Canada each had monster blowout wins in their group games on Saturday with the Americans beating Austria 11-0 and the Canadians dominating Germany 16-2.
Alex Turcotte had three assists while Cole Caufield was held off the score sheet, oddly. Dylan Holloway notched one assist in Canada’s blowout. The Canadians also won their game on Sunday, 3-1 over Slovakia, and are in control in Group A. Both teams have off on Monday before returning to the ice on Tuesday.
- Due to COVID-19 concerns, Mizzou won’t be able to play in their bowl game vs. Iowa.
- Penn State didn’t have the year they expected in football. What questions do they need to answer this offseason?
- Northwestern RB Drake Anderson has entered the transfer portal.
- How will Ohio State RB Trey Sermon do in the Playoff?
- A preview of tonight’s men’s basketball game from a Maryland perspective.
- Illinois outlasted Indiana in men’s hoops.
- Can Michigan State’s defense improve enough for them to contend for a Big Ten title?