Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- As of Saturday morning, the Badgers are one of only two teams to have a top-10 ranking in KenPom’s offensive and defensive efficiencies. Baylor, the No. 1 overall team in KenPom, is the other. Pretty good company for Wisconsin.
Huge fan of @BadgerMBB Coach @GregGard. The Badger players he rebuilt with 3 years ago are grown men now. After Michigan State win today, now have a @kenpomeroy Top 9 & Top 5 D. Rarely beat themselves.— Fran Fraschilla (@franfraschilla) December 26, 2020
- If you missed this from Christmas morning, here is how the Badgers woke up in East Lansing.
The Badgers woke up to a little surprise this morning from Coach Gard— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) December 25, 2020
Feat. Marc VandeWettering as "Buddy the Elf" pic.twitter.com/OT266h1Bde
- As voted on by their teammates at the World Juniors, Cole Caufield and Alex Turcotte will both be wearing the “A” for Team USA.
Cam York (PHI) is officially named Team USA’s captain for the World Juniors. Cole Caufield (MTL) and Alex Turcotte (LAK) are the alternate captains.— Chris Peters (@chrismpeters) December 24, 2020
The boys had their first game of the tournament on Friday and, unfortunately, lost to Russia 5-3. Caufield did have an assist on the American’s first goal and looked good creating chances, but could not find the net himself.
Team USA is back in action Saturday night (tonight) against Austria at 8:30 p.m. CST on NHL Network.
- A recap of the game yesterday from MSU’s point of view.
- On Christmas night, the Gophers shocked everyone by beating No. 4 Iowa in OT.
- Iowa is, predictably, not happy.
- Nebraska made it interesting, but ended up losing to Michigan in men’s hoops.
- Purdue escaped with a three point win over Maryland on Christmas. And here are Maryland’s thoughts on the loss.
- Would Pat Fitzgerald leave Northwestern for the NFL?
- Michigan’s Franz Wagner looked good, and more aggressive, against Nebraska.
- Rutgers lost their first game of the season, to Ohio State, in men’s basketball.
- What to expect in the Bret Bielema era. Good luck, Illinois.