The No. 7 Wisconsin Badgers (1-0) are back in action on Friday night at the Kohl Center against the Arkansas Pine-Bluff Golden Lions (0-1). Wisconsin won their season opener against Eastern Illinois, 77-67, while the Golden Lions were blown out, 99-57, by the Marquette Golden Eagles.
UAPB struggled with Marquette’s size, as they had three big men foul out, and the Golden Eagles’ Theo John feasted down low, scoring 13 points, corralling 12 rebounds and swatting five shots. One could reasonably expect Nate Reuvers and Micah Potter to have big games as well.
This game will also, presumably, be a chance to get an extended look at Wisconsin’s younger players. Ben Carlson and Jonathan Davis both looked good in their UW debut against EIU, but it would be nice to see more from Steven Crowl, Carter Gilmore and Joe Hedstrom.
Hopefully you and yours had a relaxing Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday and are now ready to shout about college basketball online with your internet friends!
How to watch/listen
TV: BTN, 8:00 p.m., CT, Jeff Levering, Ben Brust
Streaming: FOX Sports Go
Radio/Satellite: 1310 AM, Sirius/XM 195; Matt Lepay, Mike Lucas
Live stats: Here!
Arena: Kohl Center
Line: Wisconsin -34
KenPom Wisconsin win percentage: 99.9%
Fun facts (according to the media guides)
- The Badgers had their ninth-straight win on Wednesday night, dating back to last season, Nate Reuvers led UW with 18 points (6-of-10 FG) and nine rebounds.
- With five blocks Wednesday night, Reuvers moved into third place on UW’s career blocks list and now trails only Frank Kaminsky and Ethan Happ. He needs just six swats to break Happ’s school record.
- Freshmen Jonathan Davis (eight points in 15 min) and Ben Carlson (13 points in 17 minutes) had impressive debuts.
- Friday’s game marks the first-ever meeting between Wisconsin and Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
- UW holds a 13-0 all-time record against teams from the Southwestern Athletic Conference with the most recent matchup coming in a 84-53 win over Grambling State in 2018.
This year has been anything but normal, but we still have so much to be thankful for— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) November 26, 2020
Most importantly, our Badger Family
Last night, we got surprises from home pic.twitter.com/tqWChNuUIV
- Shaun Doss was the only Golden Lion in double figures against Marquette with a career-high 27 points along with five rebounds. It was his eighth career 20-pt scoring game, and his nine made field goals tied a career-high.
- The Golden Lions return nine players including four starters from last season’s team. Shaun Doss leads the way, as the 2019-20 All-SWAC Preseason second-team selection missed all but the first three games of last season due to injury
- D’Mitrik Trice, 6-foot, redshirt senior, guard, No. 0
- Aleem Ford, 6-foot-8 redshirt senior, forward, No. 2
- Micah Potter, 6-foot-10, redshirt senior, center, No. 11
- Brad Davison, 6-foot-4, senior, guard, No. 34
- Nate Reuvers, 6-foot-11, senior, forward, No. 35
- Markedric Bell, 6-foot-8, senior, forward, No. 3
- Joshuwan Johnson, 5-foot-9, junior, guard, No. 4
- Terrance Banyard, 6-foot-8, senior, forward, No. 12
- Shaun Doss, 6-foot-5, senior, guard, No. 21
- Dequan Morris, 6-foot-3, senior, guard, No. 23