Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow (which we NO LONGER DO).
- I don’t know how many seats are left on the Nick Herbig Hype Train, but you should probably reserve your spot now.
- It’s a weird season! We’ve got men’s hockey dropping the puck in Madison tonight (Thursday) against No. 6 Michigan for the Badgers’ home opening series. Both games will be on FSWisconsin and should be barn burners since both teams have showed an ability to score with a high frequency.
- If you are able to watch the game stay tuned during the first intermission.
It sounds like you'll want to stay tuned into @fswisconsin during the first intermission of the @BadgerMHockey game Thursday night. They have a special feature planned on our late friend Rob Andringa.#Badgers players are wearing his number on their sweaters and helmets. pic.twitter.com/OfMHIkYNiz— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) November 18, 2020
- Hmmm, this IS neat!
- Our old pal Jake had his boss show up during a Zoom call with the Badgers players the other day.
- Hey! We got a men’s basketball schedule on Wednesday for the Badgers and also an announcement of two excellent non-conference classics featuring eight top-15 teams.
The Champions Classic and Jimmy V Classic are official:— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) November 18, 2020
No. 13 Michigan State at No. 9 Duke (7:30 p.m., ESPN)
No. 10 Kentucky vs. No. 6 Kansas (9:30 p.m., ESPN)
No. 12 Tennessee vs. No. 1 Gonzaga (7 p.m., ESPN)
No. 2 Baylor vs. No. 8 Illinois (10 p.m., ESPN)
- My sister also has a French bulldog named Luna so I feel a certain kinship to coach Tsipis.
- Can Iowa’s QB Spencer Petras take advantage of the PSU secondary?
- Here’s a positional preview of Penn State hockey.
- LOL: is Michigan better than Rutgers?
- Everybody knows that this weekend’s NU/UW game is a big one.
- Purdue is getting a transfer RB from UNLV.
- You may have noticed a new feature on some of the posts around here. There is now an option to listen to our posts. Thankfully the author doesn’t have to read them because my voice is, well, awful...but that doesn’t mean LGHL isn’t going to have a little fun with our reading robot.
- The NBA Draft was last night (the Sixers did REALLY WELL! I LOVE YOU DARYL MOREY!) and the first Big Ten player selected was Maryland’s Jalen Smith at No. 10 (which was a reach, but whatever, good for Stix!) by the Phoenix Suns.
- MSU had two players drafted: Cassius Winston (who ended up on the Wizards) and Xavier Tillman (who ended up on the Grizzlies).
- Minnesota’s Daniel Oturu ended up on the Clippers after draft night wheeling and dealing where he’ll be reunited with Amir Coffey.