Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- It’s crazy how much more badass these hype videos were last year, compared to years past, and it looks like 2020 will be more of the same.
Our home won't be the same without you there Friday— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) October 21, 2020
But it's not about where you are — it's about who you are
We're all Badgers
- Interesting news out of Canada here that Badgers sophomore forward Cole Caufield had COVID-19 earlier this fall.
#Badgers forward Cole Caufield said in an interview with https://t.co/9bkSMGGfSN that he had COVID-19 about a month ago. In September, UW paused team workouts because of a spike of cases within the team. Caufield said 6 players on the team were directly affected but asymptomatic. https://t.co/xNED4OZdlr— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) October 21, 2020
- The Fieldhouse is looking sharp after some renovations.
The Field House pic.twitter.com/MLJ9yu6GoR— Kelly Sheffield (@KellyPSheffield) October 20, 2020
- LOOK AT BABY OWEN!
Former athlete @piofootball @BillSchmidRadio @CoachLinares @PeteyBananas pic.twitter.com/fd3LfbUD7a— Owen Riese (@RieseDraft) October 20, 2020
- Our friends over at BTPowerhouse are counting down the top-25 men’s basketball players for this season and Nate Reuvers clocked in at No. 17.
‘BTPowerhouse 25’ - No. 17 Nate Reuvers— Kevin Knight (@SpartyOnHuskers) October 21, 2020
Hey, @B5Q, I said nice things about a Wisconsin Badger. Do I get a gold star now? Because I definitely feel sick to my stomach a little bit... https://t.co/pG026MQBPw
- Speaking of Big Ten basketball, it was announced on Wednesday evening that Penn State Nittany Lions head coach Pat Chambers was resigning.
Penn State announces Pat Chambers' resignation following an internal investigation of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Chambers.— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) October 21, 2020
Former Duquesne head coach and current PSU assistant Jim Ferry has been named the interim head coach.
Our friends at BSD have a quick write-up on Chambers and his tenure at Penn State. I had honestly forgotten about the alleged inappropriate conduct from Chambers towards former Nittany Lions big man Rasir Bolton because it was announced over the summer and as far as I know that was, like, four years ago.
Pat Chambers has issued a statement on his departure from Penn State. pic.twitter.com/3zKWwYRwKh— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) October 21, 2020
- Awwww, Nebraska thinks they’re people!
For years, the #Huskers had a close friend in Oklahoma. That rivalry was based on respect, tradition, iconic games and memories.— World-Herald Big Red (@OWHbigred) October 21, 2020
Could Nebraska-Ohio State grow along those same lines? Maybe, writes @tomshatelOWH: https://t.co/1FCkbo91Z3
- What are the expectations for Ryan Day at Ohio State in Year 2? Pretty high.
- JR Pace of Northwestern’s football team shared a video on Wednesday that you all should watch:
If You Cheer Us, Hear Us pic.twitter.com/pAv7AJ7Q4l— deuce (@jrpace9) October 21, 2020
- Rutgers is excited to have former Wisconsin Badgers WR/KR Aron Cruickshank on the team this year. He is listed as a starting WR for their first game of the season.
- There might be snow in the forecast for Michigan/Minnesota on Saturday. As someone who lives there, I had to use my snowblower on Tuesday night because there was nearly six inches of snow on my driveway in the MIDDLE OF GOD DAMNED OCTOBER...so, uh, yeah...I could see there being some precipitation this weekend.
- Speaking of the Gophers, they are missing a lot of talent from last year’s defense. How are they looking to rebuild?
- An analytics-driven discussion of where the two Michigan State Spartan free agents, Bryn Forbes and Denzel Valentine, could end up during this NBA offseason. If you like the wonkier side of hoops stats, this is a fun post.
- What’s at stake this year for Illinois football and, really, everyone?