Good morning! This is going to be a daily post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- In case you missed it on Friday, the Big Ten Conference announced their preseason honors list for football. There are five dudes from each division on the list and Wisconsin’s very own Jack Sanborn made the cut.
Coming soon to terrorize a stadium near you #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/LwS2bqdK4W— Wisconsin Football (@BadgerFootball) October 16, 2020
- The USWNT is starting the process of selecting their roster for the 2021 Women’s World Championship in April and four current Badgers, four former Badgers and one future Badger were invited to the evaluation camp in Minnesota.
#USWNT Evaluation Camp is set to take place October 25-31 in Blaine, Minn.— USA Hockey (@usahockey) October 16, 2020
Details → https://t.co/D8C3eloJX0 pic.twitter.com/10aWGNLO6k
Todd Milewski of the State Journal notes that Badgers freshman forward Makenna Webster and former Badgers forward Annie Pankowski are being considered for the team but won’t participate in this evaluation camp.
- Tyler Wahl is ready for his second year in Madison and he’s still growing!
s̶o̶p̶h̶o̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶l̶u̶m̶p̶— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerMBB) October 15, 2020
sophomore jump@tjwahl01 added experience, size — an inch (to 6-7 ½) and 15 pounds (to 220) — and personal growth
Now the forward is poised to take things up another level this seasonhttps://t.co/j96WCsZmfR
- Things are not going great in Iowa City.
BREAKING: 8 Black former Iowa football players demand $20 million & for firings of Gary Barta + Kirk & Brian Ferentz.— Chad Leistikow (@ChadLeistikow) October 18, 2020
UI response: “We respectfully decline your monetary and personnel demands.”
Lawsuit likely next. Who's involved & all the details:https://t.co/F9NzR10ZcZ
“However, the 21-page demands letter outlines a different tone aimed at proving that Kirk Ferentz “witnessed, sanctioned and possessed intimate knowledge of widespread racial discrimination within the program.” It sounds like this is going to court since Iowa is denying everything.
- Tyler joined Jon of Corn Nation to discuss the Badgers/Huskers matchup in Week 2 of the B1G season.
- Purdue head coach Jeff Brohm is probably positive for COVID-19.
- Some bold predictions for the Northwestern Wildcats this season.
- If you would like to get angry this morning, take a look at Land-Grant Holy Land’s recap of the 2014 B1G Title game.
- Michigan vs. Minnesota should be one of the more interesting games of the weekend, and Maize N Brew thinks that the Wolverines should embrace their underdog status.
- Rutgers men’s basketball should be very good this year, like top-25 good, but what do they need to do to meet those expectations?
- The defensive line is an interesting position group for the Fighting Illini this year. Here is a preview of a group that will look to give Wisconsin’s o-line fits in Week 1.
- IU QB preview aka Heisman Trophy winner preview.
- The Gophers are hosting GameDay this weekend, their second straight home game doing so. Here is a history of the Little Brown Jug, the oldest trophy in college football, which is cool and interesting. I’m kinda a sucker for this stuff.