Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- B1G SPEEEEEEEEED!
Watch Aaron Cruikshank (@Ac_Hollywood_) reach a max speed of 22.3 MPH on the 95-yard KOR #myRAmaxspeed #RoseBowl #Badgers #GoBadgers @BadgerFootball | @UWBadgers pic.twitter.com/Ga9ugXh5l8— Recruiting Analytics (@RecruitAlytics1) January 2, 2020
- Now that it’s 2020, the B1G officially has a new commissioner! That’s...something, I suppose. We’ll see what it means for the conference in the coming years.
The Big Ten welcomes the sixth commissioner in conference history, Kevin F. Warren. pic.twitter.com/1TuvXJ6Pi8— Big Ten Conference (@bigten) January 2, 2020
- I’m sure you saw this, but Jonathan Taylor is heading to the NFL Draft. Good for him, we are excited to see where he ends up! Here are some of his last thoughts on being a Badger.
ICYMI - last night, Jonathan Taylor told us how much being a Badger has meant to him.#Badgers #OnWisconsin #RoseBowl pic.twitter.com/FicElBlj7y— Melissa Y. Kim (@melissaykim) January 3, 2020
- Pretty good career that Taylor kid had, huh?
Jonathan Taylor's career at Wisconsin is absolute banana land nuts. pic.twitter.com/AxZMxxfbKy— Ian Kenyon (@IanKenyonNFL) January 3, 2020
NCAA career rushing leaders (including bowls):— Dave Heller (@dave_heller) January 3, 2020
1. Ron Dayne, 7,125
2. Ricky Williams, 6,592
3. Tony Dorsett, 6,526
4. Donnel Pumphrey, 6,405
5. Charles White, 6,245
6. Jonathan Taylor, 6,174#Badgers
#Badgers HC Paul Chryst on JT:— Melissa Y. Kim (@melissaykim) January 4, 2020
"What I will remember the most about being around him is how he handled himself and how much he cared about his teammates. He is truly humble, always working to get better... He gave everything he had to maximize his opportunity in college."
Only RB to rush for 100-plus yards three times against a Ferentz defense. https://t.co/1DUeRXPE8H— Scott Dochterman (@ScottDochterman) January 4, 2020
- Backup LB Christian Bell graduated and is now entering the transfer portal as a player with immediate eligibility. We wish the former Alabama and Wisconsin player well and hope he finds the right fit to end his college career.
Let’s work ‼️‼️ pic.twitter.com/8MBGPnbOY1— Christian Bell (@BELL_ringerr) January 3, 2020
- Look at the Badgers! Producing top-end NFL talent!! T.J. Watt was first-team as an EDGE rusher and second-team as LB. Holy crap he’s good.
Za'Darius Smith just misses out on first team All-Pro.— Ryan Wing (@RyanWingFOX11) January 3, 2020
Pair of 3rd year Badgers make 1st team: TJ Watt and Ryan Ramczyk
Schools with most players on NFL's All-Pro first and second teams:@AlabamaFTBL 4@NDFootball 3@BadgerFootball 3@LSUfootball 3@StanfordFball 2@HawkeyeFootball 2@OhioStateFB 2@ClemsonFB 2@GoBEARCATS 2@UCLAFootball 2@CalFootball 2@BCFootball 2@ToledoFB 2— Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) January 3, 2020
- Some more fun facts about the basketball game on Friday night. It is going to be TOUGH to fill out a bracket this year.
Wisconsin defeated 5th-ranked Ohio State tonight. This marks the 10th time this season an unranked team has beaten an AP Top 5 opponent.— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) January 4, 2020
Through this date last season, there hadn't been a single win by an unranked team over an AP Top 5 opponent. pic.twitter.com/7JOKxxelVz
- Michale “Rafiki” Ballard as he is known.
We carried him in the locker room, held him up like Simba https://t.co/4q8cZRoNm3— Michael Ballard (@mballard_22) January 4, 2020
- Hockey is back! It’s a great day for it, imo.
' !#Badgers Robert Morris— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerWHockey) January 4, 2020
⏰ - 6 p.m. CT
- https://t.co/toCtX7LKBr pic.twitter.com/mW85cdnZlp
- The Palestra in Philadelphia is one of the coolest places to watch a basketball game and I think it’s awesome that Penn State is playing Iowa there this weekend.
- Nebraska dismissed Maurice Washington from the football team.
- The all-decade basketball team for Northwestern is full of names of guys you kinda remember.
- Ohio State DE Chase Young is, thank the good Lord, going pro.
- Michigan C Cesar Ruiz is also going pro.
- Illinois is already in “save their season” mode. Here are the adjustments they need to make.
- Michigan State basketball is, predictably, starting to hit their stride.
- Minnesota has a new offensive coordinator.
- Rutgers has one too!
B1G basketball scoreboard from over the past couple of days (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
Minnesota 78 - Purdue 83 (2OT)
Illinois 56 - No. 14 Michigan State 76
Rutgers 79 - Nebraska 62