Good morning! This is going to be a daily(ish) post that discusses the goings on of the rest of the Big Ten Conference, and the country as needed. Much like the European Union, the Big Ten is a loosely confederated group of entities that sometimes have the same goals (like free movement of people between countries or not winning national titles in football or basketball) and sometimes accept new members that they later regret (Estonia or Rutgers).
We hope that you will use this post to comment on things happening around the conference and also as a sort of daily open thread to discuss breaking news or argue about Spotted Cow.
- While the offseason is long, here is a little non-conference schedule information to help get you through until volleyball starts again.
Some non-conf sked info for @BadgerVB fans:— Dennis Punzel (@DennisPunzel) January 17, 2020
Week 1: Home, Fla State & UNC in B1G/ACC Challenge
Wk 2: At Utah + Utah Valley
Wk 3: At Marquette; H vs. Kentucky (Hilley vs Lilley)
Wk 4: Home vs Jacksonville State and Appalachian State
- What I find most interesting about this is that Micah Potter seems confused/angry about where Kobe King was supposed to be on this play. He throws his arms up and seems to be barking at King all the way down the court. I’ve noticed that Potter has done this in several games after being beat on defense or after making a turnover on offense.
So perfect that Winston set the assist record with such an easy lob over Potter right after the outage over Potter's playing time. https://t.co/bdfaHo4DX0— Phil Mitten (@hoopsmarinara) January 18, 2020
I know that teammates sometimes get after each other after mistakes to make sure that everyone is on the same page but it’s interesting that it always seems to be Potter who is confused/angry about what happened. I’d err on the side of King knowing where he’s supposed to be in the defensive rotation and the new guy having made a mistake but that’s all just a guess.
- Remember that one assclown “draft expert” that said Jonathan Taylor wasn’t fast? Usually the national leader in rushes of 10 or more yards is slow. Everyone knows that.
Rushes of 10+ yards:— PFF College (@PFF_College) January 18, 2020
1. Jonathan Taylor 61
2. J.K. Dobbins 51
3. Chuba Hubbard 49 pic.twitter.com/6Uq1upK39j
- Wisconsin indoor track and field’s season has started. And some Badgers had wonderful individual performances.
Congratulations to SO Josie Schaefer on her big shot put PR (54’-1.25”) this weekend. This performance ranks her 3️⃣ All-Time in Wisconsin history https://t.co/jHDVBpupqp— Coach Dave Astrauskas (@CoachAstrauskas) January 18, 2020
Freshman Victoria Heiligenthal breaks the Larry Wieczorek Invitational meet record for the women’s 3000 meters coming in at 9:55.01 #OnWisconsin— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) January 18, 2020
Unofficial results from the Men’s 3000 Meter Premier:— Wisconsin Track & Field (@BadgerTrackXC) January 18, 2020
1. Zack Snider - 8:06.99
4. Seth Hirsch - 8:11.80
8. Conor Perreault - 8:17.51
10. Rowen Ellenberg 8:30.73#OnWisconsin ⚪️
- Look at Bo Ryan living his best life in a Badger hat on the golf course.
A wonderful moment on No. 10 as former @BadgerMBB coach Bo Ryan and wife Kelly, who live at PGA West, pose for pictures with some of UW’s most loyal season ticket holders as @stevestricker makes the turn @theamexgolf pic.twitter.com/t5RQzvDEp6— Rob Hernandez (@RobHernandezGLF) January 18, 2020
- Well, pink IS the best flavor of Starburst. However, yellow as your second choice? Pretty questionable when all right thinking people know orange is the second best.
You should be kicked out of the family for considering yellow to be one of the best starburst. https://t.co/y4wKso27Mk— JJ Watt (@JJWatt) January 19, 2020
- The men’s hockey team bounced back on Saturday to earn a series split with Michigan State. They are going to need to string together some sweeps, however, if they want even a prayer of making the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team.
That was fast!⏱Wisconsin scores 26 seconds into the game thanks to this GEM by @lindy2201 pic.twitter.com/SHKpQpmZqv— Wisconsin Hockey (@BadgerMHockey) January 19, 2020
- The women’s hoops team was up 15 at halftime and 17 at one point in the third quarter and then, well...
Battled down to the wire. #OnWisconsin pic.twitter.com/RBuVXeZf5X— Wisconsin Basketball (@BadgerWBB) January 19, 2020
Wisconsin has lost 21 straight games to Iowa. ::pukes everywhere::
- Kobe King wasn’t wrong about Davante Adams having a big game. His other prediction though? Poor Micah Potter and Brad Davison cheering for chump teams like the Browns and Vikings. Smh.
GO BROWNS https://t.co/PHQ1TclbxA— Micah Potter (@BigJam_23) January 19, 2020
- We talked about this a bit over the weekend, but WR Aron Cruickshank made it official and is transferring to Rutgers.
Aron Cruickshank discussed his decision to leave the #Badgers and play for Rutgers with @BrianDohn247 https://t.co/AOTbHZoU4X— Evan Flood (@Evan_Flood) January 19, 2020
- I like how 24 in white “noped” right the hell out of there once Khalil Iverson got to the top of his jump.
.@iverson_khalil went up for the STRONG two-handed slam for Friday night's @AaronsInc Play of the Game! #WeAreGR pic.twitter.com/txEIIZ1MiV— Grand Rapids Drive (@grdrive) January 19, 2020
- Luka Garza is having such a good season for Iowa. He was dominant again in their win over Michigan.
- Former Purdue All-American WR Taylor Stubblefield is the new WR coach at Penn State.
- A great recap of Nebraska’s loss to Iowa in wrestling from Corn Nation.
- Northwestern almost beat Illinois in basketball over the weekend and that’s basically NU’s biggest win of the season.
- It sounds like Nate Reuvers and Micah Potter should be licking their lips about playing Michigan.
- Here is On the Banks’ breakdown of Aron Cruickshank coming to Rutgers.
- Why is the B1G so crazy in hoops this year? Here are some numbers to help explain it.
- What do the Gophers have to do to make the NCAA Tournament?
- I know they ended up losing to Kentucky, but Arkansas having a part of their student section called Sharkansas makes me hope they don’t lose another game all season.
SHARKANSAS is back and hyped up! pic.twitter.com/dawV74e82I— Tera Talmadge (@TeraTalmadge) January 18, 2020
B1G basketball scoreboard from the past few nights (losses in bold because we are here to laugh at misfortune):
No. 21 Ohio State 76 - Penn State 90
Purdue 50 - No. 17 Maryland 57
Northwestern 71 - No. 24 Illinois 75
Indiana 82 - Nebraska 74
Minnesota 56 - Rutgers 64 (RANK RUTGERS, YOU COWARDS!)